Manager, Company Network
Ceres is a sustainability nonprofit organization leading the most influential investors and companies to build leadership and drive solutions throughout the economy. Through powerful networks and advocacy, Ceres tackles the world’s biggest sustainability challenges, including climate change, water scarcity and pollution, and human rights abuses.
The Ceres Company Network comprises more than 50 leading U.S. companies that are setting the highest bar for sustainability leadership, committing to robust sustainability goals, and improving resiliency in their operations and supply chains. Ceres enjoys a unique, direct advocacy relationship with Network members, leveraging the Ceres Roadmap for Sustainability—our strategic vision and practical framework for sustainable corporations in the 21st century—as well as access to investors and other advocacy organizations to move companies to make environmental, social and governance considerations integral to their core business strategies.
For more information about Ceres, please visit our web site (www.ceres.org).
Description and Responsibilities
The Ceres Company Network is led by a collaborative team of sustainable business strategists who bring a depth of expertise in environmental, social and governance issues. At the foundation of Ceres engagement with companies is the Ceres Roadmap for Sustainability ¾our strategic vision and practical framework for sustainable corporations in the 21st Century. Following the release of the Ceres Roadmap in 2010, Ceres has periodically benchmarked the performance of the largest companies in the U.S. Our most recent benchmark assessment, Turning Point, was released in early 2018. The Ceres Company Network wants to leverage our Roadmap framework to drive more engagement with member and non-member companies to achieve measurable impact in their core business operations and supply chains.
Ceres seeks a Manager with strong subject matter expertise and a passion for driving improvement in corporate sustainability performance to develop and drive fee-for-service opportunities including, but not limited to, customized analyses and benchmarking, executive presentations, and materiality assessments, with member and non-member companies. The successful candidate will be a savvy project manager, strong communicator and strategic thinker that will help develop and realize Ceres’ strategy for expanding the uptake and impact of the Ceres Roadmap with both companies and investors. This is a full-time position, based in our Boston office, with line reporting to one of the Directors of the Company Network. Desired content knowledge encompasses environmental and social sustainability issues, with specific focus on those issues within the corporate and investor communities.
Specific duties include, but are not limited to:
• Lead marketing and outreach efforts for fee-for-service work, with responsibility for increasing and diversifying Company Network revenue;
• Develop external engagement opportunities (e.g. webinars, workshops, small events) that provide opportunity for deeper focus on particular issues areas covered in the Ceres Roadmap, such as governance, water stewardship, renewable energy, and sustainable supply chains;
• Contribute to the design, development and implementation of tools and resources to drive forward leadership in corporate sustainability practice;
• Act as project manager, overseeing all work related to the Ceres Roadmap — including project work with member and non-member companies, communication and rollout activities related to Ceres most recent benchmarking assessment Turning Point, and strategic planning and development for future work— including a fourth benchmarking assessment;
• Lead, in coordination with Ceres Development Team, related fundraising activities with individual, corporate and/or foundation contacts, including the preparation of proposals, presentations and other related development materials;
• Help manage a small portfolio of Company Network members, supporting their direct engagement and advocating for leading disclosure, governance, stakeholder engagement, and performance commitments;
• Assess company performance and provide expert guidance on topics including governance, climate and energy, water, labor and human rights, and sustainable supply chains, among others;
• Provide support to the Company Network team and other Ceres staff in development of presentations, talking points, speeches, etc.;
• Coordinate and develop Ceres’ public communications (via website, social media, online media, print and other mediums) focused on the Ceres Roadmap and related content;
• Maintain the Ceres Roadmap website (www.ceres.org/roadmap) and Turning Point website (www.ceres.org/turningpoint), developing fresh content and new user experiences;
• Engage cross-organizationally with each of the Ceres programmatic teams—tapping into their expertise and supporting organizational priorities;
• Assist in the planning of the annual Ceres Conference program and other events; and
• Represent Ceres externally by attending and speaking at relevant conferences and events.
• Bachelor degree, required; master degree preferred.
• Five years or more of direct experience working on sustainability and corporate responsibility issues in the corporate, investor or non-profit sectors.
• Significant and sophisticated project management experience, with demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously while maintaining attention to detail.
• Evidence of project and people management across all levels within an organization.
• Proven business development experience, including a track record of establishing new revenue streams and/or securing foundation funding.
• In-depth knowledge of environmental and sustainability issues and an understanding of corporations (including corporate reporting and business strategy tools), the socially responsible investment community, and the environmental and sustainability movements.
• Excellent verbal, written and presentation skills for both internal and external audiences.
• Effective facilitation skills with the ability to bring divergent ideas to a productive conclusion.
• Sound judgment, sensitivity to diverse constituencies, excellent interpersonal skills, strong initiative and motivation.
• Proven leadership and people skills, including a demonstrated ability to mentor the skills and effectiveness of other team members.
• Ability to move seamlessly between collaborative, team-driven activities and independent projects.
• Ability to bring a positive outlook and energetic commitment to working at Ceres on a daily basis and to thrive in a fast-paced environment.
• Demonstrated ability to be an advocate.
• Experience in North American context is required, coupled with an understanding of the broader international context for sustainability.
• Willingness to travel as needed to accomplish duties noted above.
• Passion for accelerating and expanding the adoption of sustainable business practices and solutions to build a healthy global economy.
How to Apply
We encourage all applicants to review our website to familiarize themselves with Ceres before applying: www.ceres.org. If you are interested in applying, please submit a resume, cover letter, two writing samples, and a list of three references, as well as complete the additional information as instructed.
Ceres is an Equal Opportunity Employer and will not discriminate against any individual based on race, color, sex, national origin, age, religion, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, military or veteran status, disability, or any factors prohibited by applicable law.
Click here to apply
Please mention that you saw the job on GreenBiz