Manager, Communications and Marketing
Ceres is a sustainability nonprofit organization leading the most influential investors and companies to build leadership and drive solutions throughout the economy. Through powerful networks and advocacy, Ceres tackles the world’s biggest sustainability challenges, including climate change, water scarcity and pollution, and human rights abuses.
For more information about Ceres, please visit our web site (www.ceres.org).
Description and Responsibilities
The Manager of Communications and Marketing will develop and execute short and long-term communications and marketing strategies for our Food and Water initiatives to elevate the leadership and actions of influential investors and companies on a host of sustainability issues, including water, food and deforestation, and expand Ceres position as a thought leader on these issues in the U.S. and around the globe. Ceres works with the most influential investors and companies to tackle sustainability risks and opportunities, and reduce the impacts of threats on our planet and natural resources, including fresh sources of water and forests.
Embedded within the Water and Food team, and working closely with the Communications and Marketing team, the Manager will be responsible for executing media strategies and generating earned media coverage through an array of media relations and cultivation tactics. This position will be responsible for developing related-media materials and placing thought leadership columns in targeted investor, business and financial outlets, while leveraging messaging and content around key Ceres and external events and moments.
This position will also support the execution of paid and unpaid marketing strategies, developing corresponding materials to market key reports and investor engagement tools, and campaigns and initiatives, and provide input on website, social media and eCommunity messaging to amplify impact across Ceres’ digital platforms.
This is a full-time salaried position. This person will report to the Senior Director, Water and Food and have a dotted line relationship to the Department Director of Communications and Marketing.
Specific duties include, but are not limited to the following:
• Work closely with communications and marketing team to develop and execute long-term communications and marketing strategies for Ceres
• Conduct targeted media relations and outreach to generate uptake in earned news coverage of Ceres experts/thought leadership as well as investor and company leadership and action.
• Work with Ceres experts and investor and company media spokespeople to conduct on-the-record interviews, provide quotes and statements, author columns/op-eds and editorials, and support social media amplification.
• Execute media strategies for research reports and initiative rollouts, ensuring coordination internally and with external partners, and consistency in framing, messaging and design.
• Identify key events and moments to leverage messaging and content, ensuring activities are coordinated and organized closely together with relevant initiatives, and with Ceres’ overall communications and marketing priorities and calendar.
• Support strategies for paid and unpaid marketing tactics to market reports, investor engagement tools, and campaigns and initiatives.
• Identify and cultivate new strategic (paid and unpaid) media/social media partnerships.
• Provide input on website, social media, eCommunity messaging to amplify impact across all Ceres’ digital platforms.
• Ensure regular communications with investor and company communications staff to cultivate and maintain those relationships.
• Provide communications and marketing support as needed for key Ceres events (e.g. Ceres Conference, Investor Summit on Climate Risk, etc.).
• Bachelor degree, required. Graduate degree, preferred.
• 5 years of work experience in journalism, communications, public relations, required.
• Experience developing media relations strategies and working in fast-paced media environments.
• Strong writing and fact-checking skills with experience writing for media audiences including pitches, press releases, statements, columns/op-eds, etc.
• Experience with producing content that resonate with various audiences including media, policymakers and the business community.
• Demonstrated interest in water and food and/or sustainability issues, preferred.
• Existing relationships with water and food, business and financial reporters, preferred.
• Experience managing and strengthening relationships and coordinating with multiple partners.
• Strong pitching and organizational skills.
• Ability to regularly evaluate workload and prioritize projects.
• Able to direct and manage multiple projects at the same time.
• Able to work well independently and as a team member.
• Comfortable working with different personalities and people.
• Desire to work in a mission-driven and nonprofit environment.
How to Apply
We encourage all applicants to review our website to familiarize themselves with Ceres before applying: www.ceres.org. If you are interested in applying, please submit a resume, cover letter, two writing samples, and a list of three references, as well as complete the additional information as instructed.
Ceres is an Equal Opportunity Employer and will not discriminate against any individual based on race, color, sex, national origin, age, religion, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, military or veteran status, disability, or any factors prohibited by applicable law.
Click here to apply
Please mention that you saw the job on GreenBiz