POSITION TITLE: Major Gifts Officer (MGO)
Los Angeles, CA; San Francisco Bay Area; or New York, NY. IC is headquartered in Santa Cruz, CA
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION:
Island Conservation (IC), a global leader in the conservation of threatened island biodiversity, is working to prevent extinctions by removing invasive species from islands. In collaboration with regional partners, IC designs and implements conservation projects which ensure native species protection and demonstrate cutting-edge invasive species removal techniques. IC also supports on-the-ground research to optimize the success of invasive vertebrate removal. Our mission is focused and our conservation outcomes are tangible and measureable. Since its founding in 1994, IC’s conservation efforts have saved 399 species from extinction. IC is based in Santa Cruz, California with projects and/or offices in Hawaii, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Palau, Bahamas, Puerto Rico, Chile, and Galapagos, Ecuador. For more information, please visit www.islandconservation.org.
The Major Gifts Officer is an out-the-door fundraiser with experience raising major gifts from foundations and/or individuals and implementing effective multi-year strategies and plans for gift prospects, including corporations, foundations, and individual donors. The MGO will have special responsibilities to: 1) Build IC’s presence in New York and other East coast markets with an eye to creating a fully developed portfolio over the next three years; 2) Expand and maximize IC’s impact in the San Francisco Bay Area and California; and 3) Lead fundraising for our growing body of work around innovation. The ideal candidate has a flexible, creative approach to fundraising, values teamwork, embraces a multi-cultural work environment, has a strategic mindset, embraces an entrepreneurial work culture, works well with remotely located colleagues (including supervisor), and drives for outcomes.
The MGO reports to the Director of Philanthropy and works across the organization to identify and advance organizational priorities with funders.
Key attributes include:
• Experience building and maintaining long-term relationships with fundraising constituents
• Experience in asking for and closing gifts of $25,000 or more
• Experience in managing and tracking multiple prospects and donors
• Experience working with cross-functional teams
• Experience, coursework, or other training in fundraising principles and practices
• Ability to implement and manage fundraising plans, including individualized cultivation, solicitation and recognition plans
• Knowledge of current trends in the charitable giving areas of capital campaigns, major gifts, planned giving, and environmental conservation
• Willingness to travel up to 25% of time
• A deep commitment to the mission of Island Conservation
• Impeccable integrity
• Proven ability to manage organizational change constructively and sensitively
• Write proposals and reports, working closely with program staff and finance – including reviewing budgets and providing guidance as needed
• Represent IC to funders and convincingly articulate the organization’s mission and values
• Maintain donor records in SalesForce in compliance with IC standards
• Plan and execute donor cultivation events
• Assist in planning and executing board meetings as needed
• Act independently and in supervisor’s stead as needed, exercise independent judgment to identify and solve problems.
• Demonstrate sensitivity in handling confidential information.
• Ensure compliance with IC policies and procedures and external (donor/legal/IRS) requirements.
• Manage assigned projects, coordinating the work of peers and setting deadlines.
• May manage or participate in complex or sensitive negotiations.
• Persuasively convey the mission of IC to diverse groups who are important to the organization’s overall prosperity.
• Travel frequently and on short notice, work long and flexible hours as needed. Travel up to 25% of time.
The MGO ideally should embody the following professional qualifications:
• Bachelor’s degree
• 5+ years related experience
• Excellent written and spoken English language skills; Spanish or French language skills a plus
• Advanced computer skills; experience with Salesforce is desired
The MGO ideally should embody the following personal attributes:
• Proven team player and leader, able to motivate and inspire staff as well as colleagues to work well as a team - a leader not a boss
• Superlative interpersonal skills, including a willingness to listen to internal and external constituents and learn from their best ideas
• Exceptional analytical, strategic, and tactical ability, as measured through execution of projects and/or processes that meet and surpass expectations
• Intellectual curiosity, approachability, and openness to input from all levels of staff
• High energy level, personable, trustworthy, diplomatic, respectful and in possession of impeccable integrity
• Articulate, with proven ability to write effectively and speak persuasively
• Strong cultural fit: Able to work with self-motivated, mission driven staff in flexible workplace
• Willingness and ability to work through peak activity periods, as required
• Willingness to travel internationally and work across different time zones
The ideal start date is 6/1/18 or earlier; however, the position will remain open until a suitable applicant is found.
Island Conservation is an equal opportunity employer. Island Conservation offers a salary and benefits package that is competitive with other international not-for-profit conservation organizations.
• Principals only. Recruiters, please do not contact this job poster.
• Please, no phone calls about this job!
• Please do not contact job poster about other services, products or commercial interests.
Interested candidates should prepare an application as one PDF that includes the following: a cover letter, CV, two references, and salary expectations. Please label your application as LastnameCV-MGO.pdf
Email your application to email@example.com
at Blue Earth Consultants, a Division of ERG, who is coordinating the recruitment process. Please include IC MGO 2018 in the subject line. We will be reviewing candidates starting April 6, 2018 and continue to accept applications until the position is filled.