The project’s ultimate objective is to develop and institutionalize the GHG Inventory capacities of tropical forest countries necessary to underpin preparing and reporting estimates of anthropogenic GHG emissions and removals from the AFOLU sector, including information on expected (FREL/FRL) and actual GHG emissions and removals from REDD+ activities and related AFOLU categories. In turn, this will provide a vital building block to enable countries to access results-based REDD+ finance.
This will be accomplished through technical capacity development support for establishing and managing GHG inventory systems, preparing estimates of anthropogenic GHG emissions and removals from the AFOLU sector, including REDD+ activities.
The project is envisioned to have a time frame of 3 years, to cover a GHG inventory cycle for the BUR, with a possible extension of 2 years. It aims to support the implementation of activities for improving the GHG inventory, as well as to supply capacity for the second GHG inventory where still required by national experts, for up to 21 tropical forest countries over a three plus two (total five) year period(s). This will ultimately help countries to fulfil reporting commitments under the UNFCCC on anthropogenic GHG emissions and removals and for the implementation of results-based mitigation actions within the AFOLU sector, especially on the implementation of REDD+ activities, if any.
CfRN is looking for a motivated Expert for the following tasks to be executed under the direct supervision of the Lead Expert and overall Leadership Team:
1. Provide training and capacity building for the development of institutional arrangements for the national GHG inventory, as well as supporting the enhancement of technical capacities of local GHG inventory experts for preparing the GHG estimates for AFOLU categories as well as for REDD+ activities;
2. Prepare and develop tutorial and course materials on the AFOLU sector of the national GHG inventory, to be used for the technical capacity building activities at global, regional, national level;
3. Support and assist the Lead Expert in developing capacity for measuring, reporting and verification of greenhouse gas emissions reductions and carbon stock enhancement in the agriculture forestry and other land-use sectors, especially in REDD+ activities, in participating countries
4. Assist building institutions inside the participating countries to carry out GHG inventories and reporting of information on REDD+ activities and delivery of the training through in-country and international workshops
5. Undertake field missions and deliver training courses in participating countries.
Skills: Highly motivated individual with excellent interpersonal abilities. Background in GHG inventories is mandatory and a background in data analyses of forest inventory data and/or geospatial data is desirable.
Language: Excellent knowledge of English. Knowledge of Spanish and/or French is a plus.
Interested candidates are encouraged to send their curriculum vitae and any supporting documentation as soon as possible to: email@example.com
Duration: January 2018 – June 2019, with possible two-year extension
Salary level: Approx. USD 60,000 per annum
Duty station: Florence and/or New York with travel to participating countries
All candidates must be authorized to work in the United States without sponsorship