FSC US Chain of Custody & Trademark Manager
Do you want to work in the largest national office of one the world’s most influential conservation organizations – one operating in more than 100 countries to protect forests, wildlife, and human rights? Would you like to work alongside a dedicated staff, supporting major strategic initiatives that have worldwide impact?
This full-time position, based in our Minneapolis headquarters, will act as Chain of Custody and Trademark Manager for FSC US, overseeing application of related policies and standards in the US, working to grow the FSC system in the US in coordination with the Markets and Marketing Team, and providing constructive input into international policy and standard development.
In 1994, an international group of leaders in business, human rights, and the environment came together with a vision of harnessing the power of the marketplace to reward the stewardship of forests, one of the world’s most vital and threatened ecosystems. Together they formed the Forest Stewardship Council (FSC), setting standards for responsible forest management and developing a certification system so that consumers of forest products could directly contribute to the health of forests and forest communities.
For 27 years, through its uniquely trusted forest management and chain-of-custody (COC) certification standards, FSC has been advancing the cause of responsible forest management around the world, and across all forest product industries. FSC-certified products are widely available at all major US retailers and more than 5,000 North American companies are certified under FSC’s chain-of-custody standard, with over 35,000 certified globally. Approximately 155 million acres of forestland are FSC certified in North America, with more than 550 million acres certified worldwide.
FSC US is the largest national office of the Forest Stewardship Council and is witnessing a dramatic increase in demand, driving the need to add to our team.
POSITION DESCRIPTION & RESPONSIBILITIES
This highly visible Chain of Custody (COC) & Trademark Manager will work closely with local and remotely-based staff and directors as well as FSC’s partners in the US and around the world – from environmental and social NGOs to progressive companies, and governments, acting as a COC and Trademark subject matter expert for the entire US organization. The position affords tremendous opportunity for both professional and personal achievement.
Reporting to the Director of Science & Certification (with indirect reporting to the Chief Marketing Officer), the COC & Trademark Manager will: a) ensure accurate and consistent implementation of the FSC COC, Trademark and associated policies and standards in the US; b) help lead, execute and/or support FSC US’ system growth and certificate holder retention efforts in the United States and Canada; and c) Engage with FSC International policy and standards teams to develop and improve CoC, Trademark and other associated standards and systems, based on experiences with, and feedback from, customers in the US market. The ideal candidate is thoroughly detail oriented, organized, and demonstrates adaptability to evolving priorities. This person works independently with a great deal of initiative, and as part of a team to serve a fast-paced and growing organization, providing exemplary customer service to a wide array of stakeholders, and is continually looking for opportunities to improve the accuracy, consistency and effectiveness of policy and standard implementation, and system growth in the US.
Chain of Custody
• Serve as the primary contact for COC technical issues, including providing assistance to individual certificate holders, and proactively identifying technical concerns before they become critical.
• Develop support tools for COC certificate holders that will create efficiencies, and increase accuracy and consistency of their conformance with requirements.
• Advise marketing staff in their work to achieve system health monitoring and retention goals, drawing from technical expertise and from information gained through engagement with certificate holders
• In partnership with FSC US communications and marketing staff, provide accurate and understandable guidance for COC requirements and increase existing and future certificate holder awareness of requirements and other pertinent information.
• Work with certification bodies to ensure consistent and effective auditing of COC certificate holders, including developing national interpretations.
• Serve as FSC US’ Trademark subject matter expert, administering our trademark license program including contract development and onboarding processes.
• Document, communicate, and work with FSC US and International teams to answer questions and resolve challenges related to FSC’s Trademark License certification offerings.
• Document and communicate status of ongoing trademark license pursuits to Chief Marketing Officer via Salesforce reporting and periodic reviews.
• Collaborate with market development team to support performance and growth of existing Trademark License offerings.
• Field questions from prospects and sales representatives and provide training to staff and license holders by email, phone, and webinar.
• Monitor use of FSC’s trademarks by US companies. Use inappropriate use of trademarks as an educational opportunity and ensure follow through with enforcement actions, in coordination with FSC International’s legal team, if trademark violations are not voluntarily resolved.
• Participate in normative processes as a technical expert.
• Advocate in global FSC conversations for effective and coherent policies.
• Proactively engage with FSC International staff on technical concerns and issues.
• Respond to consultations on FSC US’s behalf.
• Support other priority FSC US policy and standards activities.
• Other mutually agreed tasks may be assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
• Master’s degree in an applicable program plus at least 3 years’ experience in a relevant professional role OR Bachelor’s degree plus 5-8 years’ experience in a relevant professional role
• Proven organizational skills and attention to detail, ability to organize time, manage diverse activities and meet deadlines, and demonstrated flexibility to changing situations and priorities
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills; able to adapt as needed to different audiences; confident and effective in representing FSC US in both virtual and in-person settings
• A professional, customer service mindset, including the ability to be courteous, personable, and tactful when dealing with FSC’s full range of stakeholders
• Strategic and analytical, but creative in seeking innovative solutions to complex challenges
• Committed to working collaboratively as a team, but also self-motivated and able to work
effectively independently; takes initiative and able to make decisions appropriate to position
• Able to travel up to 10-15% as required (mostly domestic, occasionally international)
• Prior experience with forest certification or other standards-based systems.
• Knowledge of FSC’s normative framework.
• Prior experience with forest-based products and supply chains
• Practice an individual commitment to sustainability and environmental responsibility
• Willingness to learn Mac operating systems
• Demonstrated experience in Office 365, Salesforce, and/or other standard business software
Compensation for this position commensurate with experience. FSC US maintains a highly competitive benefits package including health and dental insurance, paid leave, retirement savings plan with matching contributions, and a flexible working schedule including every other Friday off. This role will preferably work with our team in a beautiful warehouse building in Minneapolis’ historic North Loop district.
Please email your resume and cover letter to Nancy Barnard at email@example.com
• Please reference “Chain of Custody & Trademark Manager” in the subject line.
• Resume and attachments should be named in the following format: "LastName, FirstName - Resume."
Position is available until filled.