Green Seal is seeking an Environmental Scientist/Engineer to participate in the creation of new environmental programs and research to transform markets toward healthier more sustainable products. This is a unique opportunity for a motivated early-to-mid-career research scientist to engage with a range of technical challenges, while advancing the mission of the original US ecolabel. This Washington D.C. position reports to the Vice President of Science and Standards. Salary based on experience up to $50,000.
QUALIFICATIONS: Candidates must demonstrate broad proficiency and a strong command of environmental and health sciences, as well as excellent research, writing, and communication. The successful applicant will be effective at both independent and collaborative work and adept at proactive problem solving; initiating and completing new projects; effective time management of multiple projects; and attention to detail.
REQUIRED: (1) A Bachelor's Degree in a Natural Science or Engineering. (2) Demonstrated excellence in clear and accurate technical writing and communications for diverse audiences.
PREFERRED EXPERIENCE: Life-cycle evaluations and environmental/health research (highly preferred); critical analysis of technical and life-cycle research; standard development, certification and/or product development; stakeholder engagement; project management.
• Participate in developing, revising, and reviewing Green Seal’s standards, new programs, opportunities for thought leadership and collaboration with key allies through:
- Technical Research and Market Analysis:
• Research life-cycle impacts of specific products, services, processes and technologies
• Create sustainability profiles for products, services, and programs, including technical specifications, functional performance, technologies/chemistries, regulations, test methods
• Identify significant impacts/hazards for users, manufacturers, bystanders and the environment
• Write clear and accurate standards and informational documents for a variety of audiences
- Stakeholder Engagement:
• Participate in developing and maintaining a network of subject-matter experts
• Identify and engage diverse stakeholders in our standard development and other activities
• Maintain a technical library, web pages, stakeholder lists and outreach data
• Represent Green Seal at conferences, committees, public events, and trade shows
• Other tasks as needed, including data entry – we have an “all hands on deck” approach and perform all necessary tasks
Founded in 1989, Green Seal is a nonprofit devoted to transforming the economy for a healthier, greener world. Through our science-based environmental standards, product certification, and public education, we recognize environmentally responsible products and services and inform consumers and institutional purchasers. Green Seal is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer; women, minorities, people with disabilities, and veterans are strongly encouraged to apply.
To apply: Please send a cover letter and resume to standards (at) greenseal.org with the subject line “Environmental Scientist Position.” Writing samples will be required in later stages of your evaluation.