Engineer, Energy Efficiency
Posted Jun 17
Civil Service Title: ADMINISTRATIVE CONSTRUCTION PROJECT MANAGER
Business Title: Engineer, Energy Efficiency
Work Location: 1 Centre St., N.Y.
Division/Work Unit: Office of Energy Conservation
Number of Positions: 1
Job ID: 391361
The Department of Citywide Administrative Services (DCAS) Division of Energy Management (DEM) serves as the hub for energy management for City government operations. Today, we develop the City's annual Heat, Light, and Power Budget; manage the City's electricity, natural gas, and steam accounts; help our agency partners identify and pursue energy-saving opportunities at their buildings; do energy efficiency and clean power generation projects across the City's portfolio; and implement operations and maintenance (O&M) best practices. DEM is tasked with leading the City's efforts to reduce greenhouse gas emissions (GHG) emissions by 80 percent by 2050 from a 2005 baseline (80 x 50). The City also has set a near-term goal to reduce GHG emissions from government buildings 35 percent by 2025 (35 x 25). DEM is looking to both demand- and supply-side initiatives to accomplish these goals. The successful implementation of energy efficiency projects across the City's portfolio of buildings, including deep energy retrofits, is an essential part of these efforts. DEM seeks to hire an Engineer, Energy Efficiency for our Operations unit. The Engineer will be responsible for overseeing the development and implementation of energy efficiency projects across a variety of programmatic areas.
With wide latitude for the exercise of independent judgment and initiative, the Engineer's work will include:
1. Working with partner agencies to develop pipeline of energy efficiency retrofit projects: Assist agencies in identifying, evaluating, and prioritizing energy conservation projects. Assist in creating agency-wide Climate Action Plans with focus on developing multi-year pipeline of projects to meet greenhouse gas reduction goals.
2. Performing technical calculations to estimate and verify project performance: Perform engineering calculations and energy modeling to verify the reasonableness and accuracy of estimated energy usage reductions, avoided greenhouse gas emissions, and energy cost savings for proposed projects. Utilize and improve upon existing set of tools for such analysis. Develop and implement M&V plans, when required, in coordination with project team and users.
3. Managing energy efficiency project scoping: Develop and review scopes of work for energy efficiency projects, working closely with agencies, contractors and consultants. Review completed Energy Audits and Energy Efficiency Reports (EER's) for buildings to help guide project selection and alternatives analysis. Develop a consistent methodology for evaluating and prioritizing the energy conservation measures proposed in these reports.
4. Managing energy efficiency project implementation: Ensure that the design and construction of energy efficiency projects are completed in a timely and cost-effective manner. Review, provide comments, and make recommendations on design packages submitted by consultants for proposed energy efficiency projects. Conduct field visits to ensure compliance with the scope and schedule set forth in contract documents.
5. Coordinating with agency partners, consultants, and contractors: As designated, represent DEM in meetings with different City agencies, consultants, and contractors involved in energy efficiency project implementation.
6. Performing program data collection, tracking, and reporting: Perform program data collection and tracking required to ensure accurate, on-demand project reporting in a range of areas, including compliance with project schedule, budgets, and scopes; measurement and verification of energy savings and avoided emissions; and project contributions towards the City's goals. Maintain relevant DEM project tracking databases.
Minimum Qualification Requirements
At least six years of full-time satisfactory experience in construction management work on capital projects, each one of which must have had a dollar value of at least $15,000, at least eighteen months of which must have been in a managerial or consultative capacity in an organization responsible for the management of construction; and a combination of the following, sufficient to equal a total of ten years of education and experience:
a. Full-time satisfactory experience in construction inspection on capital projects, each one of which must have had a dollar value of at least $15,000. One year of acceptable experience will be credited for each year of construction inspection experience up to a maximum of four years.
b. Full-time satisfactory experience in building construction as a journeyperson in one or more of the skilled building construction trades. One year of acceptable experience will be credited for each year of journeyperson experience up to a maximum of four years.
c. Education in an accredited college leading to a bachelor's degree in architecture, landscape architecture, or air pollution control, chemical, civil including structural and bridge design, electrical, mechanical, or sanitary engineering will be credited on the basis of 30
credits for one year of acceptable experience up to a maximum of four years.
A New York State license as a professional engineer or registered architect or a license as a professional engineer or registered architect from a state that has reciprocity with New York State may be substituted for the four years of education and experience described in "a", "b" and "c" above. However, all candidates must have at least six years of experience in construction management work described above, including at least eighteen months in a managerial or consultative capacity in an organization responsible for the management of construction.
Possession of a Motor Vehicle Driver License valid in the State of New York. Employees must maintain the license during their employment.
The candidate should possess some or all of the following:
1. Degree in Electrical, Mechanical, or Environmental Engineering (undergraduate and ideally master□s).
2. P.E. preferred.
3. Experience in the design and construction of energy efficiency retrofits in diverse buildings that vary in age, size, and use.
4.Minimum of three (3) years experience in analyzing building energy efficiency technologies and controls and specifying upgrades to improve the energy performance of building systems.
5. Strong knowledge of applicable IESNA/ASHRAE design codes, design standards, and specification requirements, with the ability to interpret and apply them to specific project scopes.
6. Experience reviewing and/or developing project cost estimates.
7. Familiarity with energy usage, energy cost savings, and avoided greenhouse gas emissions calculation methodologies.
8.Skilled at managing program operations and budgets.
9.Strong written and verbal communication skills.
10.Proficient computer skills, including Microsoft applications.
11. Well-organized, detail- oriented, and capable of managing multiple responsibilities and deadlines simultaneously.
New York City residency is not required for this position.