The Energy Public Engagement Associate works under direction of the Manager of Community Relations and has a wide range of responsibilities for advancing Monterey Bay Community Power’s (MBCP) strategic community outreach efforts and advocacy for the organization during enrollment process across MBCP’s growing service area in San Luis Obispo and Santa Barbara counties. This position will be located in San Luis Obispo.
The Energy Public Engagement Associate works independently and within a team environment to interface with a wide range of community, stakeholder, and customer groups, conducting strategic outreach and community organizing efforts to advance MBCP. The Energy Public Engagement Associate is responsible for cultivating and developing relationships with key stakeholder groups, and for communicating MBCP’s central messages consistently to target audiences via professional networking, presentations at events, printed literature, web-based material, electronic correspondence, and verbal interactions. The incumbent also coordinates and participates in community events and performs related work and tasks to ensure successful events and positive responses to MBCP. The Energy Public Engagement Associate is also responsible for outreach related activities on MBCP’s behalf through effective communications and physical visits to community stakeholders as may be needed.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities (Illustrative Only)
• Plan, organize and implement community outreach efforts to enhance marketing of MBCP services to the general public, key customers and community stakeholders, and public agencies.
• Initiate and develop collaborative relationships with community members, local business owners, municipal staff, public officials, and other key stakeholders. Act as a liaison to these groups on behalf of MBCP.
• Expand customer participation and enrollments in MBCP by emailing, on-site visits, and cold-calling if necessary.
• Emphasize product and service features and benefits, quote costs, and discuss customer terms.
• Build and foster a network of referrals to create new opportunities for account and Agency growth.
• Prepare and deliver presentations to various community groups and local organizations.
• Participate in public events to distribute information about MBCP and interact with members of the public; recruit, organize and train local volunteers to assist in these efforts as well.
• Cultivate partnerships and mobilize public support for MBCP, and other programs and promotional opportunities.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
Any combination of education and experience that would provide the knowledge and abilities listed. Typically, equivalent to possess of a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in communications, public administration, environmental planning or a related field and four years of experience in community outreach, public relations and/or events management. Experience working in a public utility and/or a Community Choice Aggregate program is desirable. Ability to speak both English and Spanish is highly desirable.
• The mission, goals and operational structure of MBCP
• Microsoft Office Suite including Excel, Word, PowerPoint and Adobe Acrobat
• Diverse communities, languages and cultures
• Effective presentation methods
• Event management and planning
• Advanced principles and practices of customer service
• Utilize strong interpersonal and verbal communications, grammatical and professional business skill sets to promote and explain MBCP programs
• Learn the mechanics of a CCA and MBCP electric service options and customer programs
• Establish and maintain effective working relationships with all people encountered in the performance of duties
• Enhance own development by taking responsibility for staying informed and up to date with MBCP and industry knowledge
• Work with and develop a calendar of community events across five-county region
• Handle multiple projects in an efficient and time-sensitive manner
• Work independently to resolve issues quickly and effectively
• Manage multiple priorities and quickly adapt to changing priorities in a fast paced, dynamic environment
• Coordinate work with community groups to enhance positive relationships and reputation for MBCP
• Demonstrate patience, tact, courtesy, and flexibility at all times; exercise sound judgment, creative problem solving, and commercial awareness
• Develop high-quality writing, research and communication work products; ability to read, write and speak Spanish is desirable
• Prepare and deliver clear oral and written communications and presentations using power point and other on-line presentation tools
The physical demands described here are representative of those required for the position. Position requires sitting, walking, standing, bending, and twisting in the performance of daily activities. The position requires hand manipulation and repetitive hand movement and fine coordination in using a computer keyboard. The position requires near and far vision in reading reports and use of a computer. Acute hearing is required in supporting meetings and providing phone and in-person customer service. The position occasionally requires lifting and/or moving objects up to 40 pounds. MBCP will make reasonable accommodation of the known physical or mental limitations of a qualified application with a disability upon request.
Possession and continued maintenance of a valid class C California driver’s license or the ability to provide alternate transportation as approved by the CEO and a safe driving record.
Location and Compensation:
This position will operate out of MBCP’s temporary work location in San Luis Obispo. Compensation for this position ranges up to $93,000, commensurate with experience. A full benefits package is also offered as part of salaried employment.
The position is open until filled. To be considered for this position, please submit an application, detailed resume, cover letter, and three professional references via the following link:
Following the filing date, resumes will be screened in relation to the criteria outlined in this brochure and the class specification. Candidates deemed to have the most relevant qualifications will proceed with the selection process which may include a written examination, oral presentation, oral interview, or a combination.