The Energy Public Engagement Associate works under direction of the Manager of Energy Account Services and has a wide range of responsibilities for advancing Monterey Bay Community Power’s (MBCP) strategic community outreach efforts and advocacy for the organization across MBCP’s growing service area. This position will be based in San Luis Obispo but may occasionally support outreach efforts in other parts of the MBCP service territory as far north as Santa Cruz and as far south as Santa Barbara.
The Energy Public Engagement Associate works independently and within a team environment to interface with a wide range of community, stakeholder and customer groups to conduct strategic outreach and community organizing efforts that advance the goals of MBCP. The Energy Public Engagement Associate is responsible for cultivating and developing relationships with key stakeholder groups especially in disadvantaged or underserved communities, overseeing MBCP’s farmworker outreach initiative and consistently communicating MBCP’s central messages to target audiences via professional networking, event engagement, presentations, printed literature, web-based material, electronic correspondence and verbal interactions.
The Energy Public Engagement Associate also coordinates and participates in sponsored events and performs work to ensure successful event-related community engagement, MBCP branding opportunities and positive customer responses to MBCP. The Energy Public Engagement Associate is also responsible for outreach-related activities on MBCP’s behalf through effective communications and physical visits to a variety of community stakeholders as may be needed.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
• Plan, organize and implement community outreach efforts to enhance MBCP’s marketing services to the general public, MBCP customers, community stakeholders, local organizations and public agencies.
• Initiate and develop collaborative relationships with community members, local business owners, municipal staff, public officials and other key stakeholders, and act as a liaison to these groups on behalf of MBCP.
• Build and foster a network of referrals that create new opportunities for account growth and program participation.
• Prepare and deliver presentations to various stakeholder groups, community organizations and MBCP Member Agency Partners.
• Plan, organize and participate in public events to distribute information about MBCP and interact with members of the public; recruit, organize and train local volunteers to assist in these public engagement efforts as MBCP Ambassadors.
• Cultivate partnerships and mobilize public support for MBCP programs and promotional opportunities; provide Community Relations outreach and logistical support to the MBCP Energy Programs Team.
• Expand customer participation and enrollments in MBCP by emailing, on-site visits and initiating direct introductions when necessary.
• Emphasize the benefits of MBCP’s electric generation service offerings and programs, quote costs and discuss serviced and program terms with MBCP customers.
• Assist in the delivery of MBCP’s Community Outreach Plan through the support of key sponsored events, a variety of media channels, program related workshops, and a variety of business membership, community, climate action, local agency, disadvantaged and farmworker communities and social services stakeholder meetings.
• Prepare and maintain MBCP’s outreach collateral kits and event equipment for field deployment.
• Provide administrative assistance to include collateral re-production, processing of business membership renewals and Purchase Order Requisitions and other tasks as needed.
• Provide Spanish translation for MBCP’s Marketing Team which may include press releases, flyers, website updates, newsletters and printed collateral.
• Support the Goals and Initiatives of the Communications and External Affairs Department with other tasks as may be assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
Any combination of education and experience that would provide the knowledge and abilities listed. Typically, equivalent to possession of a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in communications, public administration, environmental planning or a related field and four years of experience in community outreach, public relations and/or events management. Experience working in a public utility and/or a Community Choice Aggregation/Energy (CCA/E) agency is desirable.
• Ability to both speak and write in English and Spanish is required.
• The mission, goals and operational structure of MBCP
• Microsoft Office Suite including Excel, Word, PowerPoint and Adobe Acrobat
• Diverse communities, languages and cultures
• Effective presentation methods
• Event management and planning
• Advanced principles and practices of customer service
• Utilize strong interpersonal and verbal communications, grammatical and professional business skill sets to promote and explain MBCP programs
• Learn the mechanics of a CCA/E agency and MBCP’s electric service options and customer programs
• Establish and maintain effective working relationships with all people encountered in the performance of one’s duties
• Enhance one’s own development by taking responsibility for staying informed and current with MBCP and CCA/E industry knowledge
• Work with and develop a calendar of community events across five-county region
• Handle multiple projects in an efficient and time-sensitive manner
• Work independently to resolve issues quickly and effectively
• Manage multiple priorities and quickly adapt to changing priorities in a fast paced and dynamic work environment
• Leverage and coordinate MBCP’s work with a variety of community groups and organizations to build positive relationships and the reputation of MBCP as the trusted source for energy-related information
• Demonstrate patience, tact, courtesy, and flexibility in all interactions with the public and staff; exercise sound judgment, creative problem solving and situational awareness
• Develop high-quality writing, research and communication work products.
• Prepare and deliver clear oral and written communications and presentations in English and Spanish using Power Point and other on-line presentation tools
The physical demands described here are representative of those required for the position. Position requires sitting, walking, standing, bending and twisting in the performance of daily activities. The position requires hand manipulation and repetitive hand movement and fine coordination in using a computer keyboard.
The position requires near and far vision in reading reports, the use of a computer, and driving with MBCP collateral/marketing items to support outreach events. Acute hearing is required in supporting meetings and providing phone and in-person customer service. The position occasionally requires lifting and/or moving objects up to 40 pounds. MBCP will make reasonable accommodation of any known physical or mental limitations of a qualified applicant with a disability upon request.
Possession and continued maintenance of a valid Class C California Driver License and a safe driving record.
Location and Compensation:
This position will operate out of MBCP’s work location in San Luis Obispo. This is an exempt position. Salary will be commensurate with experience and market competitive. A full benefits package is also offered as part of this salaried position.
Equal Opportunity Employment:
Monterey Bay Community Power is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic information.
The position is open until filled. To be considered for this position please submit an application along with a detailed resume and cover letter via the following link:
Resumes will be screened in relation to the criteria outlined in the job description. Candidates deemed to have the most relevant qualifications will proceed with the selection process which may include a written examination, oral presentation, oral interview, or a combination. Telephone calls regarding this position will not be accepted.
Click here to apply
Please mention that you saw the job on GreenBiz