Brightworks Sustainability is seeking a Building Energy Simulation Analyst (Energy Analyst). This person will perform building energy simulation using software models and custom calculations to quantify energy efficiency opportunities. The analyst may also help develop recommendations to optimize building systems, envelope, passive strategies, and controls on new and existing commercial/institutional buildings. The analyst’s tasks would also include the generation of as-designed energy models, and documentation required for code compliance, energy efficiency incentive programs, and green building certification. The Building Energy Simulation Analyst position is part of Brightworks’ Energy Group, reports directly to a Principal and will be assisting other company practices to support their business needs.
Areas of Responsibility:
• Extract energy efficiency related design features from drawings and specifications, and juxtapose them to baseline requirements (e.g., ASHRAE 90.1).
• Perform energy simulation computer modeling for complete commercial/institutional buildings, including advanced HVAC and DHW systems.
• Provide calculations for typical process and plug loads as well as custom analysis for manufacturing, information technology, and other loads.
• Help develop strategies to achieve higher levels of energy performance.
• Interact with clients during all project phases. Document and communicate discussions and resolutions with project team members to align deliverables to the project scope.
• Prepare and maintain LEED documentation for energy-related credits.
• Prepare and submit energy code compliance permit applications.
• Keep abreast of the latest advancements and technologies for energy efficiency, and share knowledge with the rest of the staff.
• Keep abreast of the latest in energy modeling software and technologies.
• Follow company quality processes to deliver projects that exceed our client expectations resulting in long term relationships beneficial to the client and company. Provide input to the senior staff to help win projects and meet the company’s profitability criteria.
This person will have the ability to model the architecture of a building at an optimum energy efficiency level using software such as eQUEST, EnergyPlus, Energy Pro, and/or IES-VE. Preferably a trained engineer or experienced architect who has moved to simulation for energy efficiency simulation for building design related to most efficient use of materials, HVAC systems.
Basic proficiency of Revit, along with early energy modeling programs such as Green Building Studio, is preferred. Must be familiar with the LEED rating system. Additional analysis experience with energy efficiency incentive programs or state mandates are desirable.
Preference given for candidates who meet all requirements and additionally have Commissioning experience or Energy Audit experience (ASHRAE Level 1, or other).
• Mid-level with 2-3 years of experience in building energy simulation.
• A basic understanding of the LEED certification process and credits.
• Preference for experience using the following energy simulation software programs: eQUEST, EnergyPlus, Energy Pro, IES-VE.
• A good understanding of mechanical systems, ideally due to engineering design practice.
• Bachelor’s degree or higher and advanced degree or specialized training in engineering or architecture. Preference for mechanical engineering, building science, or energy engineering degrees.
• Ability to obtain professional licensure (R.A. or P.E.) and accreditations such as CEM or BEMP.
• Revit experience is preferred.
Location: Portland, OR
About Brightworks Sustainability:
Recognized for subject matter expertise, wide-ranging technical resources, and creative problem-solving, Brightworks Sustainability is one of the most trusted sustainability consulting firms in the United States. Founded in 2001, Brightworks helps clients in over 25 industries establish and implement sustainability programs that increase their operational performance and reduce their environmental footprints.
A certified B Corp, Brightworks Sustainability is committed to benefiting society while serving its customers.
Our salaries are competitive and commensurate with experience. We provide generous employee benefits.
Our comprehensive benefit package includes medical, dental, vision, life, and short-term & long-term disability insurance, as well as an Employee Assistance Program (EAP). We offer a 401(k) plan with many sustainable & socially equitable fund options and a company match. We subsidize sustainable commuting options and offer an Employee Wellness Benefit. Other benefits include Paid Time Off, Paid Holidays, and flexible schedules.
Brightworks Sustainability is an equal opportunity employer.
Click here to apply
Please mention that you saw the job on GreenBiz