The Energy Accounts Specialist works under direction of the Manager of Energy Account Services and has responsibility for a wide range of account related issues, including customer service, business development, and energy analytics. This position will work with Monterey Bay Community Power’s (MBCP) key commercial and industrial accounts, data management, call center vendor, and Pacific Gas and Electric Company (PG&E) to ensure customer satisfaction and retention. The Energy Accounts Specialist will also be responsible for addressing systemic customer relationship issues as they arise and developing/offering new programs of benefit as they are developed. The Energy Accounts Specialist shall maintain positive relationships with all MBCP customers and assist with event outreach and presentations as may be necessary from time to time.
The Energy Accounts Specialist will support the Manager of Energy Account Services in strategic outreach to MBCP’s large customers as well as other customer engagement related to billing operations. This job serves as a point of contact between customers and MBCP to identify and resolve issues related to MBCP’s and/or PG&E’s tariffs, program designs and business operations. This role may require modification and development of new programs and rate structures to better serve MBCPs commercial customers. The Energy Accounts Specialist will also work directly with strategic accounts and will participate in community events and/or perform related tasks for residential customers as may be needed.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities (Illustrative Only)
• Primary point of contact for key commercial accounts during MBCP’s enrollment of eligible customers
• Interface with MBCP’s data management and call center provider and PG&E representatives to ensure consistent and positive interaction with customers.
• Support development and integration of MBCP and PG&E aimed at large commercial accounts including but not limited to:
o Net Energy Metering
o Bill design and rate structures
o Balanced Payment Plan
o Account-level opt outs
• Identify, advocate for and implement solutions to deficiencies in the service PG&E or others provide to MBCP’s customers.
• Provide training regarding both MBCP and broader Community Choice Aggregation operations to key account staff and others as needed.
• Manage strategic accounts, including large commercial, industrial, agricultural and municipal customers.
• Identify and implement solutions to increase customer retention and customer satisfaction with MBCP services and tariffs.
• Identify and resolve high-level customer billing issues.
• Provide expertise on Time of Use rates and demand response options and services.
• Maintain rate models for cost comparison and other analytical purposes.
• Conduct customer follow-up as needed, including providing cost comparisons for strategic accounts.
• Maintain MBCP’s business relationships with key PG&E and data management vendorrepresentatives.
• Provide data analysis support as needed to develop tailored programs and rates for key account customers.
• Provide support and guidance for Account Representatives and other staff on account or program- related issues.
• Track and ensure customer inquiries and issues are resolved in a timely manner by MBCP staff or partner organizations.
• Identify and execute ad hoc solutions to customer switching and/or billing issues
• No direct supervisory role
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
Any combination of education and experience that would provide the knowledge and abilities listed. Typically, equivalent to possession of a Bachelor’ degree from an accredited college or university in Business Administration, Engineering, Communications or a related field and four years of experience in customer service, energy industry operations and/or commercial account management. A Master’s degree in a related field preferred.
• Expertise in electric utility rules, tariffs, bill design and terminology
• Microsoft Office Suite including Excel, Word, PowerPoint and Adobe Acrobat
• Knowledge of account services, customer service, and programmanagement
• Advanced principles of customer service
• Principles and practices of communication
• English usage, spelling, punctuation, grammar and business letter writing; Spanish and other languages a plus
• Work independently and perform without direct supervision
• Perform rate analysis with multiple rate classes, tiers and billing components
• Use customer relationship management software and strategic use of CRM reports and data for program design and problem solving
• Interact effectively with commercial, Industrial and agricultural customers, local community groups and organizations
• Exercise sound judgment, creative problem solving and commercial awareness
• Deliver clear oral communication
• Manage projects and time efficiently; adept at multi-tasking in a fast-paced environment
• Be outgoing, confident and detail oriented
• Be self-motivated with a strong drive to retain and build customer base, track and resolve issues quickly and effectively
• Take responsibility and work independently, as well as coordinate team efforts
• Demonstrate patience, tact and courtesy with a variety of customers and personalities
The physical demands described here are representative of those required for the position. Position requires sitting, walking, standing, bending, and twisting in the performance of daily activities. The position requires hand manipulation and repetitive hand movement and fine coordination in using a computer keyboard. The position requires near and far vision in reading reports and use of a computer. Acute hearing is required in supporting meetings and providing phone and in-person customer service. The position occasionally requires lifting and/or moving objects up to 40 pounds. MBCP will make reasonable accommodation of the known physical or mental limitations of a qualified application with a disability upon request.
Possession and continued maintenance of a valid class C California driver’s license or the ability to provide alternate transportation as approved by the CEO and a safe driving record.
Location and Compensation:
This position will operate out of MBCP’s temporary work location in San Luis Obispo. Compensation for this position ranges up to $104,000, commensurate with experience. A full benefits package is also offered as part of salaried employment.
The position is open until filled. To be considered for this position, please submit a MBCP application, detailed resume, cover letter, and three professional references via the following link:
Following the filing date, resumes will be screened in relation to the criteria outlined in this brochure and the class specification. Candidates deemed to have the most relevant qualifications will proceed with the selection process which may include a written examination, oral presentation, oral interview, or a combination.