About East Bay Community Energy
East Bay Community Energy (EBCE) is a Community Choice energy service provider formed as a Joint Powers Authority (JPA) to serve approximately 600,000 customer accounts across Alameda County. The
service territory has a population of over 1.5 million residents and an annual load of approximately 6 TeraWatt Hours, making it the second largest Community Choice Aggregator (CCA) in CA. EBCE’s charter
is to provide its customers with low carbon, cost effective electricity that integrates innovative energy products and maximizes local benefits through the development of local solutions, ranging from increasing access to rooftop solar to supporting the adoption of electric vehicles. CCAs are at the cutting edge of transforming the energy industry in CA, helping to drive more ambitious renewable energy targets and deploying more customer-oriented clean energy solutions. CCAs represent a unique opportunity to work at the intersection of the public and private sectors and drive meaningful change. EBCE formed as a JPA in December 2016 and launched service to commercial and municipal customers in June 2018 and residential customers in November 2018. EBCE is looking for candidates that are passionate about making a meaningful local impact to California’s energy system through this growing CCA industry. We want creative problem solvers that are excited to work in an entrepreneurial environment and grow our organization!
EBCE is seeking to hire a full-time Director/Vice President of Power Resources, reporting directly to the Chief Operating Officer. EBCE is at a very exciting stage of operations post customer launch and growing
its book of energy and establishing new processes. This position will lead the power procurement team in setting the strategy as well as direct day to day responsibilities. Strong communication and analytical
skills are critical as well as a willingness to both manage and be an individual contributor as part of a small team.
• Culture: EBCE fosters a culture of open collaboration, innovation, curiosity, and accountability. As a small team, cultural fit is key to individual and team success.
• Start date: Target August/September 2019. The deadline to apply is July 22, 2019 at 5 PM. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Candidates should send application materials to firstname.lastname@example.org
and cc email@example.com
with the Job Title in the subject line.
• Location/Employment: This position will be based in EBCE eadquarters in Oakland. We are an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourage people of color, women and those who identify as LGBTQ to apply.
• Compensation and Benefits: Competitive compensation package offered, based on candidate experience. EBCE offers a generous benefits package including health, wellness, retirement, transit, vacation, and other benefits.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
• Set the procurement strategy for all wholesale power products (including resource adequacy, RECs, carbon free energy, and other energy hedges) and execute on this strategy
• Short-term Power Procurement
o Execute on <5 year energy transactions to meet all power content requirements set by the board
o Monitor power prices and work with executive leadership to forecast energy costs and product liquidity
o Engage actively with energy suppliers and establish strong commercial relationships
• Long-term Power Procurement
o Execute on 10+ year energy contracts for renewable energy, storage, and other energy products. This includes managing the solicitation process, evaluating proposals, and leading negotiations with counterparties
o Lead on Integrated Resource Planning to evaluate and inform key strategic procurement decisions
o Keep abreast of developments in resource planning processes and energy resource technologies with the ability to seek out and evaluate new technologies as appropriate
• Risk Management and compliance
o Oversee and manage EBCE’s risk management policies, including risk metrics, protocols, and tools
o Lead day to day energy risk compliance and preparation of compliance reports and materials related to EBCE power supply, including those required by the California Public Utilities Commission (CPUC), California Energy Commission (CEC), The Climate Registry, and the Department of Energy (DOE)
o Collaborate closely with executive leadership and cross functionally to support EBCE’s organizational goals, programmatic priorities, marketing efforts, etc.
o Lead analysis of EBCE’s load forecasting and provide strategic decision support to CEO and Board on policy decisions that implicate EBCEs load, energy supply portfolio, and energy expenses
o Establish and grow a professional network of energy suppliers to ensure price efficiency and satisfy EBCE’s procurement needs.
o Manage external vendors and consultants to complete project-based work and supplement EBCE’s internal capabilities
Education, Experience, Knowledge, and Skills
o Bachelor's degree in an energy or finance related field
o Master’s degree in a related field is desirable, but not required
o Minimum ten years of experience in an energy related industry
o Experience analyzing, structuring, or negotiating one or more of the following types of energy transactions:
▪ power purchase agreement for CA RPS eligible resource
▪ CAISO Resource Adequacy
▪ CAISO carbon-free
▪ energy storage (in-front of the meter or behind the meter)
o Experience integrating distributed resources into wholesale energy procurement
o Experience coordinating energy procurement between multiple load serving entities
o Experience developing and implementing energy risk management policies and regulations
o Experience managing and reviewing CAISO settlement documents
▪ Convey complex information in a simple and understandable manner
▪ Conduct effective interpersonal communications in order to make persuasive presentations and written proposals on highly technical subject matters
▪ Speak effectively and comfortably before groups of customers, elected officials, and community organizations
▪ Excellent verbal and written communication skills
o Work Style and Management
▪ Manage multiple priorities, meet deadlines, and quickly adapt to changing priorities in a fast-paced dynamic environment
▪ Problem solver and natural tendency to take initiative
▪ Take responsibility and work independently, as well as coordinate team efforts
▪ Thorough and detail-oriented, with a superior level of accuracy and precision in work products
The physical demands described here are representative of those required for the position. Position requires sitting, walking, standing, bending, and twisting in the performance of daily activities. The
position requires hand manipulation and repetitive hand movement and fine coordination in using a computer keyboard. The position requires near and far vision in reading reports and use of a computer. Acute hearing is required in supporting meetings and providing phone and in-person customer service. The position occasionally requires lifting and/or moving objects up to 20 pounds. EBCE will make reasonable accommodation of the known physical or mental limitations of a qualified application with a disability upon request.
Possession and continued maintenance of a valid class C California driver’s license or the ability to provide alternate transportation as approved by the CEO and a safe driving record.
Applicants must submit a cover letter outlining key qualifications and reasons for your interest, current resume including education, writing sample if applicable, and 3 professional references. Please email
these documents and any questions to: firstname.lastname@example.org
by 5 PM on July 22, 2019.
The information contained herein does not constitute either an expressed or implied contract, and these provisions are subject