This position is being re-advertised. Previous applicants are still under consideration.
Position Vacancy Announcement
The School of Environment is pleased to announce the acceptance of qualified applicants for the Director, Research Programs Services vacancy(Job ID#3335).
The Director will provide leadership to advance Florida A&M University’s teaching, research and service in areas related to social, environmental, and economic sustainability in harmony with FAMU’s overall mission. They will also contribute to broadening FAMU’s Institutional Impacts in local, national, and global communities and regional initiatives across Florida, and leverage and strengthen academic programs through collaborative efforts.
The Director is responsible for the operational management and administrative direction of the Sustainability Institute and will advance sustainability as an organizing principle for innovative teaching and research. The Director will advance FAMU’s mission as a best-in-class university addressing urgent social and environmental challenges, and garner significant extramural funding to support this mission.
Position goals are:
• Provides leadership and direction in sustainability policy development and implementation, and strategic planning on sustainability issues;
• Promoting interdisciplinary research and scholarship across academic areas including environmental, social, and economic sustainability via stakeholder engagements;
• Promotes student engagement, sustainability education, experiential learning locally, nationally, and globally in collaboration with our schools and external stakeholders;
• Expands extramural funding for FAMU sustainability endeavors through pursuit of grants, contracts, and public and private sector partnerships; and supportive role on campus wide activities to support the President’s Climate Commitment and other stakeholder initiatives.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities (other duties maybe assigned):
• Develops and implements strategic activities to advance the Institute’s goals and priorities;
• Works collaboratively with the SOE recruiter through community outreach and educational activities that will increase student enrollment;
• Promotes interdisciplinary research and scholarship across academic areas including environmental, social, and economic sustainability via stakeholder engagements;
• Develops programs to incentivize research and teaching in sustainability areas;
• Seeks other means to promote interdisciplinary, trans-disciplinary faculty efforts;
• Develops partnerships throughout the University and relevant communities to build collaborative efforts;
• Leads efforts to disseminate sustainability research findings and share FAMU’s sustainability endeavors through lectures, conferences, webinars, publications, and social media; Expands extramural funding for FAMU sustainability endeavors through pursuit of grants, contracts, and public and private sector partnerships; Develops a research focus for SOE SI to support grant and contract acquisition by FAMU faculty;
• Engages collaborators at other universities, including HBCUs; Seeks public, private and industry partners to develop collaborative projects; and promotes student engagement, sustainability education, experiential learning locally, nationally, and globally in collaboration with our schools and external stakeholders.
• Plays a lead role in Guiding and implementing student engagement, sustainability education, experiential learning locally, nationally, and globally in collaboration with our schools and external stakeholders;
• Administers the Sustainability Institute, including staffing, budget management, and reporting; Provides leadership for the Sustainability Institute (SI);
• Engages professional staff to complement the director’s skills in carrying out the mission of SI;
• Responsible for the management of SI budget; and provides necessary internal and external reporting and accountability.
Bachelor's degree in an appropriate area of specialization and eight years of related experience; or master's degree in an appropriate area of specialization and six years of related experience.
Desirable Knowledge, Skills, and/or Abilities:
• Demonstrated effective leadership and in-depth knowledge of sustainability issues;
• Demonstrated ability to raise funds and grantsmanship;
• Excellent communication (oral and written) skills, organizational skills, management skills, interpersonal skills and the ability to multi-task; and
• Ability to work independently and in teams to include students, faculty, staff and other stakeholders.
This is an Administrative and Professional (A&P) position.
How To Apply
Applicants are required to complete the online application (http://www.famu.edu/index.cfm?hr
) with all applicable information. Applications must include all work history and education details even if attaching a resume. If you are a current FAMU employee, you must apply through Self Service in iRattler. This search is being conducted under Florida law, including the Sunshine law and Public Records law.
If you require a reasonable accommodation pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Amendment Act (ADAA), please contact the Office of Equal Opportunity Programs at (850) 599-3076 at least ten (10) days prior to the start of the event. If you are hearing or speech impaired, please contact the University by calling TDD via FRS (800) 955-8771.
Florida A&M University is an Equal Opportunity Employer including minorities, women, Veterans' and individuals with disabilities.