Director of Global Sales and Business Development
Posted Jun 02
About SimpliPhi Power:
On a mission to create universal access to safe, reliable and affordable energy, SimpliPhi Power designs and manufactures highly efficient, durable, cobalt-free energy storage and management systems that have been deployed in over 40 countries. Based in Oxnard, California, SimpliPhi combines non-hazardous lithium ferro phosphate (LFP) chemistry with innovative manufacturing materials and processes, advanced engineering, power electronics, and Battery Management Systems (BMS) to provide flexible and scalable on-demand power solutions for residential, commercial, industrial, military, emergency response and humanitarian applications. Integral to all SimpliPhi Power solutions is proprietary IP that further optimizes the rate and depth of discharge, cycle life, resilience and overall performance of our energy storage and management systems. Founded in 2010, SimpliPhi Power’s energy storage solutions were rigorously tested by and surpassed the requirements of the U.S. Army and Marine Corps, serving the needs of service men and women on the front lines in Afghanistan and Iraq. Meeting that standard of excellence remains at the core of all that we do.
SimpliPhi Power recognizes that high performance teams are made up of diverse, critical thinkers who are also creative, tenacious and proactive, focused on the strategy, execution and hard work necessary to make a positive impact – on people, the company, the planet. We believe that who you are as a person matters and infuses everything you do – and that this principle is as fundamental to your job performance as your educational, technical and professional experience. We seek candidates who are innovative problem solvers with an exceptional capacity to process both quantitative and qualitative data, who are as compassionate as they are passionate about their work, who can set and achieve high standards but possess the humility to take feedback and course-correct when necessary. We know that innovation must happen at every level and within every department of the company, that it is as much about technological advancement as it is about how we build our business and the practices we employ, our communication strategy and stellar customer service.
If these qualities and capacities align with the vision you have of yourself and the type of company you want to work with, we welcome your application!
Equal Opportunity Employer:
SimpliPhi Power is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. Employment decisions are based upon job-related requirements regardless of an applicant's race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, gender (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, veteran status or any other characteristics protected by law. We know the value and strength of a diverse team and actively strive to create a work environment that is free from discrimination and harassment, embracing different perspectives, viewpoints and ideas.
We are looking for a driven and detail-oriented Director of Global Sales and Business Development with a passion for renewable energy and battery storage. The Director of Global Sales and Business Development is responsible for managing our dynamic team of Sales Application Engineers and Project Sales Application Engineers to ensure that the company meets its revenue and growth targets, including monthly, quarterly and annual sales objectives by identifying new business channels, establishing strategic partnerships and winning development opportunities specific to the use of battery storage systems. This position requires vision and proactive tactics to read and address both current and future market trends to capitalize on opportunities in the renewable energy and battery storage industry worldwide. The role is critical as it interfaces with R&D in new product design and feature sets, as well as the marketing team to develop initiatives and strategies that support continual sales growth and brand recognition objectives across applications and markets.
Reports To: Chief Operating Officer
Work Location: Southern CA Preferred; Geographically Flexible for the Right Candidate
Travel: Up to 30% of the time when conditions permit
Primary Job Duties:
• Manage revenue targets and hit or exceed monthly goals
• Oversee Management of Distributor Channel
o Develop deep understanding of distributor purchasing and stocking behavior
o Work with Distribution Sales Channel Manager to develop accurate forecasts of demand
o Develop strategies to increase revenue under existing agreements and expand revenue streams with existing distributors
o Review reports on distributor performance and maintain distributor scorecards. Develop analytics to evaluate distributor performance
o Collaborate with Distribution Sales Channel Manager to report on the distributors and new opportunities in weekly updates and monthly management forecasting reviews
o Facilitate quarterly and annual distributor surveys; define performance and incorporate feedback
o Oversee portfolio of distributors; ensure proper geographic coverage, limit channel conflict and phase out those that do not perform to our high standards for customer support, co-marketing and training opportunities, as well as maintaining volume purchasing and growth increases YOY
o Assist in on-boarding new distributors and ensure they are set up for success
• Develop OEM sales opportunities
• Develop project specific sales opportunities with project developers, EPC’s , etc.
• Manage and grow a pipeline of commercial project opportunities
• Prepare all documentation required for RFP submissions in collaboration with Application Engineers
• Manage Sales and Business Development Team
o Work closely with Sales and Application Engineers to develop strategies and tactics to pull demand through distributors, OEMs and project developers
o Oversight of Customer Service, Technical Support, and IQ Training, including RMA processes
o Develop, maintain, and document processes and procedures for department
o Work with other departments to facilitate seamless fulfillment of customer orders from order to delivery and after sales service
o Hire and train sales team to meet revenue targets
o In partnership with Company Executive Team, develop sales compensation and incentive structures
o Manage departmental budget and expenses
o Complete and participate in 90-day and annual reviews of sales and technical support staff; develop KPI’s across team
• Work with marketing team to ensure that distributors are marketing our products in accordance with our agreements, on co-marketing, co-branding and joint promotional programs; Participate in Quarterly marketing reviews of distributors
• Prepare and present market research to Company leadership team to drive customer centric strategy, product development and operational priorities
• Participate and network during industry specific conferences, present on panels and podium
• Ensure that data is consistently and accurately input into CRM system by team
• Represent voice of the customer in new product release process, leading to the development of market leading products and feature sets
• Interface with other strategic equipment manufacturers on interoperability, including firmware and software developers
• Participate in strategic planning sessions with management to develop a focused and comprehensive approach to market growth and sales
• BA or BS
• 5+ years of renewable energy experience with a focus on system design, equipment integration and battery storage technologies
• 5+ years in a business development sales role with demonstrated track record of financial success and exceeding targets
• Ability to assess business opportunities by analyzing financial, statistical, and regulatory trends in a quantitative and qualitative manner
• Experience managing distributors and closing renewable energy project transactions with large complex customers
• Demonstrated track record of excellence across communication, leadership and problem solving skills
• Independent, entrepreneurial and results-focused
• Passion for the clean energy industry with a strong interest and desire to further battery storage adoption as a means to solve significant challenges in the energy industry
• Possess exceptional verbal and written communication skills that are transparent, appropriately diplomatic, and conducive to an environment where issues are identified and resolved efficiently
• Must be an individual with integrity and high ethical standards that is comfortable with creating systems of accountability, personifying these high standards in their own action and thought process
• Capacity to build a strong team ethic of collaboration across a team that works remotely
If you are passionate about innovations in energy storage, renewable energy, energy-related technology, and making an impact, please apply today.
For more information, please visit SimpliPhiPower.com and follow us on Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook and Instagram.