The Rainforest Alliance is an international nonprofit organization working to build a future in which nature is protected and biodiversity flourishes, where farmers, workers, and communities prosper, and where sustainable land use and responsible business practices are the norm. We envision a world where people and nature thrive in harmony.
In January 2018, the Rainforest Alliance merged with UTZ, a global program and label for sustainable farming.
The Director, Human Resources (Head of Department) provides strategic leadership and oversight of organizational-wide HR activities. S/he oversees all HR activities for 450 staff in 20 countries. This includes, but is not limited to, HR integration for the merged organization, organizational development, employee relations, compensation and benefits, administration and compliance. S/he provides leadership in the deployment of HR initiatives and develops and implements human resource policies, practices and programs consistent with, and in support of RA’s objectives, vision and mission.
• Directs a process of organizational planning that evaluates structure, job design, and human capital needs throughout the organization;
• Oversees a global HR team in the development and implementation of policies, programs, and practices to ensure RA attracts and retains the highest caliber talent;
• Provides management coaching to senior level staff regarding talent gaps and develops programs and guidance to address gaps; and
• Develop and manage policies and programs to ensure effective succession planning.
• Leads the implementation and oversight of the organization’s performance evaluation and goal setting processes;
• Overall oversight of building a robust performance management system either internally or using a vendor;
• Collaborates with SVP and Board of Directors to administer the President’s annual evaluation;
• Plays an active role in building and keeping current, trainings in various formats, related to performance management topics; and
• Ensures promotion process is fair and equitable in its evaluation of promotion nominees.
• Formulates and recommends HR policies and objectives with regards to employee relations, ensuring HR practices and policies are aligned with Rainforest Alliance’s culture, strategy, objectives and standards;
• Plays an active role in resolving employment legal disputes; and
• Protects interests of employees and Rainforest Alliance in accordance with organizational Human Resources policies and governmental laws and regulations; reviews all disciplinary actions; escalated employee relation issues, and resolves employee problems through established grievance procedures and through assigned Human Resources staff.
Compensation and Benefits:
• Oversees all benefits and compensation strategy planning, policies, procedures, programs and standards, and administration, across operating locations, including expatriate management;
• Oversees the negotiation, implementation and administration of benefit programs and various employment-related insurance policies; and
• Manages the organization-wide salary structure and process of conducting a bi-annual update analysis with an appropriate HR vendor.
Leadership and Management:
• Ensures the HR division is structured, staffed, and managed to achieve goals according to geography and internal units;
• Develops and manages the HR budget;
• Liaison with Rainforest Alliance Board of Directors on HR related issues;
• Provides twice quarterly functional training to HR staff (full and part time staff); and
• Provides guidance on professional development activities for HR staff.
• Creates plans and strategies for addressing unexpected issues or requests so they are resolved in a timely manner and align with Rainforest Alliance’s core values;
• Communicates and prioritizes unexpected issues to ensure, where possible, other priorities are also resolved; and
• Organizes HR Staff to address issues and manages resolution process to completion.
Administration and Compliance:
• Formulates, recommends and communicates Human Resources policies and procedures for the organization;
• Serves as a resource and ensures compliance with employment laws and regulations; identifies and ensures compliance with legal requirements and government reporting regulations affecting Human Resources function; monitors exposure of the organization; and
• Familiarity with employment laws and operation in countries where the Rainforest Alliance operates.
• Bachelor’s degree, preferably in human resources; Master’s degree a plus;
• PHR or SPHR certification a plus;
• Minimum 15 years’ broad generalist experience at the management level in a multi-location environment;
• International HR experience required; not-for-profit organization experience preferred;
• Prior experience managing HR through a merger and acquisition process highly preferred;
• Exceptional managerial skills and ability to lead by example;
• A high level of personal and professional integrity;
• Strong leadership, strategic, organization development and communications (interpersonal and writing) skills;
• Outstanding ability to effectively interact with staff at all levels;
• Ability to communicate with diplomacy and tact and function as a facilitator;
• Ability to select appropriate techniques for resolving problems; coaching skills;
• Experience working for a rapidly growing organization and/or experience proactively managing change;
• Willingness and ability to travel up to 20 % of the time to major domestic and international operating locations;
• Strong Computer literacy (MS Office and HRIS systems); and
• Spanish proficiency strongly preferred.
Please apply online at
. Combine cover letter and resume as one single document and upload.