Director, Corporate Clean Energy Leadership
Ceres is a sustainability nonprofit organization leading the most influential investors and companies to build leadership and drive solutions throughout the economy. Through our powerful networks and advocacy, we tackle the world’s biggest sustainability challenges, including climate change, water scarcity and pollution, and human rights abuses.
For more information about Ceres, please visit our web site (www.ceres.org).
Description & Responsibilities
The Director, Corporate Clean Energy Leadership will coordinate across the organization and with external partners to spur U.S. corporate leadership on clean energy uptake and greenhouse gas emission reductions. The successful applicant will work with Ceres’ Climate & Energy, Company, Investor and Policy Network teams to mobilize companies to make and actualize strong commitments to disclosure of climate risk exposure, renewable energy, energy efficiency/productivity, electric vehicles, and science-based targets for greenhouse gas emission reductions. The Director will coordinate and measure Ceres’ cross-organizational work to advance corporate clean energy uptake, including direct engagement with Company Network members. The Director will work with Ceres’ Investor Network members to make the business and investor case for companies to embrace bold clean energy and climate commitments, and to spur corporate uptake accordingly. In addition, the Director will play a significant role collaborating with external partners, including a leadership role coordinating a multi-organizational working group focused on spurring U.S. corporate uptake of clean energy and science-based greenhouse gas emission reduction targets.
This is an exciting time to be working with some of the nation’s most influential companies and investors to advance solutions to climate change. This is a full-time position, based in our Boston office and will report to the Vice President, Climate & Energy.
Specific duties include, but are not limited to:
• Develop and execute annual programmatic goals and Ceres’ organizational strategy for advancing U.S. corporate clean energy procurement and greenhouse gas emission reductions, as well as support strategic planning for Ceres’ climate and energy work.
• Develop, coordinate, and implement campaign strategies and tactics to encourage corporate uptake of cleaner sources of energy, including renewable energy, energy efficiency/productivity and electric vehicles, as well as science-based greenhouse gas emission reduction targets.
• Lead a U.S. corporate engagement working group comprised of Ceres and several key partner organizations who are looking to step up collaboration to spur greater corporate uptake of clean energy and science-based greenhouse gas emission reduction targets.
• Conduct an annual assessment of the campaign, and re-direct strategies and tactics based on evaluation.
• Partner closely with Ceres teams, including the Electric Power, Transportation, Company Network, Policy Network and Investor Network teams, to execute Ceres’ corporate clean energy and climate strategies.
• Work with and mobilize existing multi-trillion dollar investor network with goal of spurring and enabling corporate uptake of clean energy and commitments to reduce greenhouse gas emissions.
• Direct cross-organizational efforts to build the business case for corporate action on clean energy and greenhouse gas emission reductions, in coordination with Ceres staff such as the Senior Managers for Renewable Energy, Energy Productivity and Clean Vehicles, and including managing and/or overseeing research and report production.
• Develop and execute outreach strategies to persuade corporate decision makers of the benefits of uptake of clean energy and greenhouse gas emission reduction targets.
• Manage and advance relationships with current and potential funders, including by partnering with the Development Team on grant proposals or engagements with donors to raise funds to support this campaign.
• Supervise at least one staff member, to include training, conducting performance reviews, and providing guidance and support with professional development.
• Support the implementation of cross-organizational campaign management systems.
• Assist with planning for the Ceres annual conference program and bi-annual Investor Summit, and assist or lead with management of other events to advance campaign objectives.
• Represent Ceres as a speaker at conferences and events.
• As needed, support Ceres’ other climate and energy priorities.
• Travel, as needed, to engage with companies, investors and stakeholders.
• At least 10 years of relevant experience.
• Bachelor degree required. Master or other advanced degree in business, environment, law, public policy or related field, preferred.
• 5 years of management and strategy development experience.
• Knowledge of environmental and sustainability issues important.
• An understanding of corporate finance, the socially responsible investment community, and the environmental and sustainability movements, preferred.
• An understanding of investment firms, financial institutions, and institutional investors, preferred.
• Knowledge of renewable energy, energy efficiency/productivity, electric vehicles and science-based greenhouse gas emission reduction targets is preferred, but not required.
• 5+ years of experience supervising staff, including ability to provide training and support staff development.
• Experience developing and managing progress against goals and budgets.
• Demonstrated ability to deliver specific projects and initiatives independently and leading a team.
• Proven ability to manage multiple projects from concept to completion on own momentum and with limited guidance.
• Ability to work both independently and as part of a team, in a fast-paced environment.
• Sound judgment, sensitivity to diverse constituencies, excellent interpersonal skills, strong initiative and motivation.
• Effective presentation style and excellent oral and written communication skills.
• Advocacy or campaign experience is preferred.
• Willingness to travel as needed to accomplish duties noted above.
How to Apply
We encourage all applicants to review our website to familiarize themselves with Ceres before applying: www.ceres.org. If you are interested in applying for this position, please submit a resume, cover letter, two writing samples, and a list of three references, as well as complete the additional information as instructed.
Ceres is an Equal Opportunity Employer and will not discriminate against any individual based on race, color, sex, national origin, age, religion, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, military or veteran status, disability, or any factors prohibited by applicable law.
Click here to apply
Please mention that you saw the job on GreenBiz