Posted Jun 29
This employer requests that only candidates within 100 miles of San Diego, CA apply to this job.
You appear to be located near Fairfield, CT, more than 100 miles from San Diego, CA.
Please be aware of this if you choose to apply for this job.
San Diego Audubon Society (SDAS), a non-profit organization working to promote the protection and appreciation of birds, other wildlife, and their habitats in San Diego County, seeks a highly motivated individual passionate about our mission to serve as the organization’s Development Manager. If you’re an excellent writer and editor, super-organized, and skilled at project management, we want to hear from you. The Development Manager will play a critical role in ensuring San Diego Audubon generates the revenue needed to execute and report out on our work. You will fill a critical administrative role by developing and
utilizing the tools needed to find, coordinate, write, and submit funding requests with support from our managers and directors. At times, The Development Manager will need to act as an ambassador for San Diego
Audubon to meet and steward donors and clearly communicate the mission and core initiatives. The Development Manager will report directly to the Executive Director and work closely with the entire staff and Board of Directors.
Executive and Administrative Support (20%)
• Develop, schedule, and track donor stewardship and solicitation actions for the Executive Director
• Prepare reports and assist in donor correspondence for the Executive Director
• Support the Executive Director’s major gifts and planned giving programs
• Develop reports and documents for the Board of Directors and committee meetings
• Assist the Executive Director with development related administrative tasks and special projects
Grants Management (30%)
• Research and prepare grants, including writing proposals and developing budgets
• Manage grant tracking system and administer grants
• Guide and support staff with grant proposals, execution, and reporting
• Manage interim and final reporting requirements of awarded grants
Donor Management and Events (30%)
• Assist in implementing membership campaigns, appeals, and fundraisers
• Establish and maintain donor database including data input, queries and reports to generate
• Execute donor communications including thank yous, tax receipts, and responding to donor
inquiries and requests
• Manage all development-related events, including planning, budgeting, venue selection and coordination, invitations, communications, registration, and volunteer management
General Fund Development and Organization Duties (20%)
• Develop and maintain a development calendar to track and coordinate donor meetings, grant deadlines, campaigns, and other development activities
• Improve systems and tools used for fund development
• Support with monthly development reporting and fiscal year end budgeting process
• Build and maintain proficiency in the history, programs, and major initiatives of SDAS
• Stay informed of updates in philanthropy and fund development and report to Executive Director
• Update website and create donor related e-newsletters and single-subject eblasts as needed
• Manage projects, inbox, and calendaring tools regularly to guide actions
Desired Skills & Qualifications
• Deep commitment and passion for the conservation of birds, other wildlife, and their habitats
• Excellent written and editing skills required
• Very organized and able to set priorities and handle multiple tasks
• Ability to work independently and enjoy detail-oriented tasks
• Skilled at project management and coordinating with others to support project completion
• Hard working, self-motivated, flexible, and able to work in a team setting
• Professional experience in the development field
• Grant writing and management experience
• Advanced proficiency with office productivity software and donor tracking databases
Other Job Requirements
• Must be able to work occasional evenings and weekends as needed
Salary, Benefits & Terms
This is a 80% time (32 hours per week), non-exempt position with possibility to increase to full time.
Wage range is $20 to $24 per hour, commensurate upon experience. We are committed to providing an inclusive work environment, including flexible work schedules, occasional telework, family sick leave, paid
health insurance, vacation leave, and SIMPLE-IRA 3% matching retirement benefit after the first calendar year of employment. Benefit details provided by request.
Equal Employment Opportunity Employer and Statement on Diversity
San Diego Audubon Society is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related
medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, genetic information, or other applicable legally-protected
characteristics. San Diego Audubon is committed to building a diverse and inclusive environment reflecting the diversity of our community in its board, staff, volunteers, and members and ensuring its internal culture,
business practices, and programs are welcoming and advance its diversity goals
How To Apply
Email cover letter and resume as a single PDF to email provided in this post with “Development Manager” in the subject line. Applications without a cover letter will not be considered. Applications in other formats, such as Word documents, will also be accepted. No phone calls, please.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and the position may be filled at any time.