MSC operates the world’s most recognised fisheries certification and eco-labelling programme. We celebrate, promote and add value to sustainable fisheries and through the leadership of our partners, create market incentives to encourage other fisheries to improve the way they fish the oceans. Over 300 fisheries around the world, landing 12 % of the annual global harvest, are now engaged at some stage of the MSC’s independent assessment process. MSC certified and labelled seafood products are now available in over 100 countries.
We are seeking an experienced and dynamic commercial partner manager to expand MSC’s commercial engagement in the US, promoting and enhancing the organization’s profile and partner engagement.
The goal of MSC’s commercial program is to raise awareness of seafood sustainability issues in the US market through building support and demand for seafood and seafood products from MSC certified fisheries in the supply chain, including retail and food service. Ensuring high levels of satisfaction and support to (and from) existing commercial partners is a major priority – to make the MSC program work better for them and demonstrate benefit, and in so doing, deepen their engagement. Additionally, the person in this position will continue to grow and develop the reach of the MSC program with new commercial partners throughout the seafood supply chain.
RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE ROLE
Reporting to the Senior Commercial Manager – Western US, the key responsibilities include:
• Implementation of MSC’s US commercial strategy and action plan, in close collaboration with the Senior Commercial Manager, Western US.
• Assist and manage the implementation of a commercial outreach strategy for the Western US that is consistent with the MSC’s mission and strategic objectives that delivers real benefits for MSC’s partners.
• Work with existing Tier 1 customers and partners to improve their satisfaction with the MSC program and to build, deepen and strengthen their participation with the MSC. In addition, ensure use of MSC ecolabel per MSCI guidelines and that licensing decisions are taken by the MSCI team.
• Continue growth and development in the reach of MSC program with second tier partners throughout the seafood supply chain. Manage targeted outreach activities to assigned retailers, wholesale distributors, foodservice operators, processors, importers and key players in the restaurant sector.
• Increase demand for and penetration of MSC-certified and labelled products in the Western US region.
• Liaise with the Senior Commercial Manager on strategy and tactics relative to Communications and Marketing asks for delivering effective and value for money co-marketing campaigns and initiatives with customers and partners.
• Identify issues and obstacles to the effective delivery of the program, and devise and propose solutions to those obstacles. While the primary focus here will be on effective functioning of the Chain of Custody and Logo License programs in the US, due consideration is required of the global nature of the MSC program and the need for solutions that are applicable across all markets important to the MSC.
• Linked to the above, contribute to MSC’s policy discussions on key issues affecting commercial success of the MSC.
• Liaise with the Senior Commercial Manager on strategy and tactics relative to MSC’s fisheries teams to support MSC-certified fisheries in gaining access to the US marketplace.
• Represent the MSC at meetings and conferences, as appropriate.
• Ensure that project management best practices are employed to deliver all commercial activities within strategy, budget and deadline.
• Undertake hands on day to day activity alongside colleagues to deliver strategies and action plans.
• Undertake any other responsibilities assigned by the Senior Commercial Manager, Western US or Program Director, USA.
Technical Experience and Skills
• Five to ten plus years of experience gained from working within supply chains (processors through to retailers and food service companies) covering marketing, brand development, direct sales or other related commercial activities, with a strong preference given to those with experience directly in the seafood sector.
• Extensive knowledge of the seafood industry, with existing contacts and networks highly desirable.
• Relevant postgraduate degree, diploma or equivalent – a marketing qualification is an advantage.
• Knowledge of third party certification schemes and the role of eco-labelling an advantage.
This position will be based in Seattle, WA.
To apply, please send a cover letter and resume to:
MSC Americas Region
5030 1st Avenue South
Seattle, WA 98134
Applications must be received by Monday, May 8, 2017 5pm PDT. Anticipated work start date is mid-June 2017.
For the full Job Description and Organizational Chart visit our website at: www.msc.org.