The Alliance is hiring a full time Climate Coordinator to support organization-wide efforts to combat climate change through organizing, regulatory policy, and litigation. Commitment of a minimum of 40 hours per week is required. Due to the nature of the Alliance’s work, it is understood that additional hours may be required and that some flexibility in daily hours may be required. This position reports directly to the Executive Director.
Who We Are:
Our mission at The Alliance for Affordable Energy is to safeguard Louisiana’s future by protecting consumers’ right to affordable, equitable, and environmentally responsible energy systems. Our vision is a future where energy works for everyone.
Founded in 1985, The Alliance has advanced a philosophy that there is no conflict between lower energy costs and lower pollution, between good jobs and regulation, or between serving the public interest and making a reasonable profit. Because we are both a consumer advocate and public health advocacy organization, our policy work meets at the crossroads of social justice, sustainable economic development, and environmental protection.
AAE adheres to the Jemez Principles for Democratic Organizing and The Principles of Environmental Justice (EJ)
Responsibilities and Duties
The Alliance has three program areas: Consumer Protection, Energy Efficiency, and Clean Energy and this position will connect our work to communities across Louisiana and provide strategic support across regulatory and legislative jurisdictions to link climate initiatives across programs. We seek someone with existing ties to communities and civic organizations outside of New Orleans, with organizing and outreach experience.
This person would need to be confident in working closely with Louisiana’s diverse communities to empower individuals to engage with elected officials in a potentially unfamiliar place. A relevant college degree or equivalent experience is preferred.
- Track and monitor activity at Governor’s Climate Initiatives Task Force and associated state legislation
- Research successful models of responsible energy policy
- Manage and develop key stakeholder relationships
- Organize, attend, and facilitate coalition meetings
- Initiate, develop and maintain partnerships with other organizations and groups
- Develop written support materials about climate mitigation, adaptation, technology, and goals, with support from staff and subject matter experts
- Participate in Alliance strategic and organizational planning along with board and staff
- Maintain files and database related to climate program responsibilities
- Create original content for the Alliance website, e-newsletter, and blog
- Assist Executive Director in developing climate project budgets
- Maintain clear and consistent organizational messaging
- Maintain and cultivate connection with established membership and constituency, including advisory committee and active volunteers.
- Work with interns and other volunteer staff
- Assist the Executive Director with fundraising including donor relationships, grant writing, and events
- Grant reporting as needed
- Passion for clean energy solutions and climate action
- Excellent oral and written communication and research skills.
- Critical thinking and analysis skills
- Ability to work with diverse communities and professionals
- Ability to work effectively within budget, while leveraging partnerships and volunteers to maximize impact
- Skill in use of computers, commonly used office software, internet, etc.
- B.A. required
- Experience with social media outlets including Facebook, Instagram and Twitter
- Able to work both independently and as part of a team
- Able to travel frequently, including occasional evenings and weekends
- Must have a valid Drivers License and access to a vehicle.
- Experience in community organizing, including online organizing
- Open and flexible personality
- Skill in management and supervision
- Experience in and/or understanding of city, state, and national climate movements
This position is associated with grant support and is funded through at least December 2022. Compensation based on experience, starting from $55,000 annually, plus 100% covered health insurance and 401K matching benefits. Generous vacation and flexible working schedule. Work-from-home due to COVID-19 expected through most of 2021.
Apply on Indeed: https://www.indeed.com/...dinator-eb21b280bc6df8c8