WattTime is an environmental nonprofit with a twist: we developed the groundbreaking technology known as Automated Emissions Reduction (AER) and we have a talented team and partners powering the adoption of it. AER drives revenue by enabling businesses across the world to voluntarily slash emissions. While so many nonprofits spend lots of time working within resource constraints on a vision with no near term finish line, we have a rapidly scaling technology, the support of over 300 volunteers, and donors motivated by the impacts we’re currently having and where we’re going. In other words, reaching our vision of “AER for everyone everywhere” is very much possible in the next five years. That’s pretty exciting. And it’s a lot of hard work too.
Do you agree with the idea that saving the world sometimes takes a little sweat and struggle?
If your answer is not just yeah, but YES!!!!!, then come work with us! We are so excited to meet you.
ABOUT THE WORK
This is a unique opportunity to work within a tech start-up that’s also a nonprofit in the energy sector. We are looking for a few different roles that fall into relatively similar job categories. Below are the areas where we have a need – if you have additional skills to contribute or interest in picking from amongst the below and/or other open roles, we’re happy to have that conversation with you. The best match for us is work that needs to be done to accomplish our mission with folks who bring skills, curiosity and perseverance to make it happen.
Some of the needs in this area include:
- Operations: We’re looking for a surgeon and a detective. You’ll address pain points both by doing the work needed now and solving any underlying causes to set us up for success as we continue to grow.
- Development: We have wonderful partners and we’re seeing lots of potential in organizations motivated by similar visions as ours to make the world a better place. You’ll put our current work into a sustainable process, cultivate relationships with donors and drive reporting efforts for existing grants.
- Financials: We are backed by RMI’s great accounting team. We need someone who loves looking regularly at the numbers, applying those learnings and keeping us ahead of and in compliance with foundational financial activities (invoice tracking, collections, bank reconciliations, and record keeping)
- HR: We are growing! And our existing team is awesome. We also have a lot of support from volunteers. Help us keep a positive trajectory of the traditional and untraditional ways we staff our team through onboarding, development and foundational operational tasks.
Experience and skills can be gained in many different contexts. In one way or another, you have successfully navigated these situations and developed and deployed the necessary tools to deliver quality work.
- Navigated an ambiguous or constantly changing environment
Juggled multiple projects at once, prioritized them and seen them to completion
- Anticipated and solved problems proactively
- Collaborated with a variety of work and communication styles
- Reflected on how what you’re doing drives the changes you want to see in the world
- Attention to detail: you don’t drop balls, you read the fine print
- High level of organization: you have a process for budgeting your time well, tracking outstanding projects, systems for filing information and documents
- Resourcefulness: you’re equally comfortable coming up with ways to make it work as you are asking for what you need
- Growth mindset: if you don’t know the answer now, you’re excited to learn
- Data savvy: you know your way around an excel spreadsheet and leverage data when making decisions
- Impact driven: you do the boring work with as much attention and vigor as the fun stuff
- Excellent listener and communicator: you ask questions, you seek out new information, you articulate complex points clearly and concisely
- Full time role reporting to the Deputy Director.
- Authorized to work in the U.S.
- WattTime headquarters sit in Oakland, CA with many team members working remotely. Remote location possible.
- Salary dependent on location and experience
- Submit a resume and cover letter that explains 1) your motivation for WattTime’s mission 2) the skills and experience that make you a fit for this role
- Application deadline: Rolling application process until we find the right fit
WORKING AT WATTTIME
We are practical, results-driven change makers. We believe nothing has more potential for fast, world-changing impact, than software. We embrace change. We are lean and rapid prototypers. We never confuse growth with impact. We are all personally, fiercely committed to our mission. We are quietly radical in unexpected ways. We have allies, not competitors. We trust in data and everyone’s voice being heard. We know diversity is central to success. We consider respect non-negotiable: there are no jerks here.
We offer competitive benefits and professional development opportunities.
Unlike most startups, our team is backed by more than 300 volunteers who contributed to our founding and are happy to support us in terms of advice, networking and perspective. We also sit within the RMI family which brings additional upside in terms of robust benefits, support, industry connections and credibility.
WattTime is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE) and does not discriminate on the basis of race, gender, disability, or sexual orientation or classification.
WattTime is a nonprofit with a software tech startup DNA, dedicated to giving everyone everywhere the power to choose clean energy. We invented Automated Emissions Reduction (AER), which allows utilities, IoT device and energy storage companies, and any end user to effortlessly reduce emissions from energy, when and where they happen. Our cutting-edge insights and algorithms, coupled with machine learning, can shift the timing of flexible electricity use to sync with times of cleaner energy and avoid times of dirtier energy. We sell solutions that make it easy for anyone to achieve emissions reductions without compromising cost and user experience. WattTime was founded by PhD researchers from the University of California, Berkeley, and in 2017 became a subsidiary of Rocky Mountain Institute.
Click here to apply
Please mention that you saw the job on GreenBiz