Do you want to work with one of the world’s most influential conservation organizations – one operating in more than 100 countries to protect forests, wildlife and human rights?
The Forest Stewardship Council U.S. office is looking for an experienced, ambitious marketing professional to build on our momentum in consumer engagement and to increase the value that FSC delivers to certified companies and trademark license holders. Our partners include some of the largest companies and NGOs in the world. For example, in 2016 we launched “One Simple Action” (onesimpleaction.fsc.org) with HP, International Paper, Kimberly-Clark, McDonald’s, Procter & Gamble, Williams-Sonoma and the World Wildlife Fund.
This full-time position, based at our Minneapolis headquarters, will lead FSC’s marketing and business development activities in the United States.
In 1994, an international group of leaders in business, human rights, and the environment came together with a vision of harnessing the power of the marketplace to reward the stewardship of forests, one of the world’s most vital and threatened ecosystems. Together they formed the Forest Stewardship Council (FSC), setting standards for responsible forest management and developing a certification system so that consumers of forest products could directly contribute to the health of forests and forest communities.
FSC US is the largest national office of the Forest Stewardship Council, the global leader in forest product certification. FSC is experiencing extraordinary growth in demand in the US and now represents from 5 to 35% market share across the range of forest products. FSC competes in diverse markets, such as building materials, furniture, paper, packaging, energy and even textiles. FSC-certified products are widely available at all major national retailers. Currently over 169 million acres of North American forestland are FSC certified (485 million acres globally). Nearly 5,000 North American companies are certified under FSC’s chain of custody standards (over 33,000 globally). See www.fsc.org for more information.
Reporting to the President, the Chief Marketing Officer will lead FSC’s marketing and business development efforts in the United States. This position is pivotal to the success of FSC US, as s/he will direct all marketing efforts including strategic planning, brand positioning, initiative execution, market intelligence and analysis, and key accounts management. The Chief Marketing Officer will be assisted in their efforts by the President and the Director of Communications, as well as staff from FSC International’s Global Development division and our Global Network.
The ideal candidate has an entrepreneurial spirit and the passion to help build the capacity and reach of this vital international organization. The success of FSC US is critical to its ability to leverage the marketing capacities of its partner organizations, some of which are among the best-known and most respected businesses and nonprofit organizations in the world.
• Develop and implement modern marketing strategies, leveraging the capacity of our commercial and NGO partners, and including extensive use of social media.
• Develop and evolve a national marketing plan consistent with FSC’s overall national and global strategies.
• Manage key corporate partner relationships, including supply chain and marketing support, and securing financial investment for FSC’s consumer engagement work.
• Develop overall organizational capacity for marketing and market development, including hiring additional team members and managing activities across the FSC US team.
• Manage creative and technical contractors, including creative agencies, filmmakers, and graphic designers.
• Lead sector-focused market development, including dynamic and engaging pitches and presentations in partner meetings and conferences.
• Ensure the integrity of the FSC brand and system in the US by coordinating prompt resolution to complaints or concerns related to product labeling or market claims.
• Represent a US perspective and advocate for our stakeholder positions among a network of FSC offices operating globally.
• Ten years or more experience in marketing strategy, brand management, promotion, and sales
• Familiarity with the sustainable products marketplace, ideally including forest products
• Entrepreneurial orientation and willingness to roll up your sleeves to get the job done
• A demonstrated passion for environmental conservation and social equity
• Ability to communicate complex ideas to various audiences
• Exceptional writing, messaging, and design conception abilities
• Ability to lead a team of creative and technical contractors in a variety of marketing initiatives
• Ability to manage multiple high-level projects
• Sensitivity to and experience in challenging cross-cultural international business situations
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
Compensation for this position is commensurate with experience. FSC US maintains a highly competitive benefits package including health and dental insurance, paid leave, retirement savings plan with matching contributions, and a flexible working schedule.
Please email your resume and cover letter to Lauren Satterlee at l.satterlee [at] us.fsc [dot] org. Please reference “CMO” in the subject line. Position is available until filled. Applications submitted by March 15, 2017 will receive priority consideration.