Chief Financial Officer
Ceres is an advocate for sustainability leadership. Ceres mobilizes a powerful network of investors, companies and public interest groups to accelerate and expand the adoption of sustainable business practices and solutions to build a healthy global economy. Our mission is to mobilize investor and business leadership to build a thriving, sustainable global economy.
Ceres plays a unique role in the national environmental and sustainability movement by bringing the perspective and power of investors to environmental and sustainability issues and specifically to the performance, practices and policies of corporations. Today Ceres is a growing organization with expanding influence in the investment, environmental, corporate and policy arenas. Our program activities seek to foster greater public disclosure of environmental and social impacts by corporations, encourage engagement between companies and their stakeholders, and create opportunities for collaborative dialogue leading to positive change on key sustainability issues. To this end, we are harnessing the influence of the nation’s largest investors to move high-impact companies, the financial and insurance industries, and policymakers toward bold action on climate and sustainability. For more information about Ceres, please visit our website at www.ceres.org.
Description and Responsibilities
Ceres is seeking a Chief Financial Officer (CFO) to lead financial management and oversight in a fast-paced, not-for-profit, organization with a $14+ million budget. This is an exceptional opportunity for an experienced professional to build on Ceres’ solid achievements in promoting a market-oriented change agenda, in engaging businesses and investors, and in mobilizing them to take action in ways that further the public and environmental good.
The Chief Financial Officer will report to Ceres’ CEO, and is also accountable to the Ceres’ Board of Directors. The CFO collaborates with the COO, the Chief Development Officer (CDO), and the Senior Department Director of Human Resources and Operations. The position will sit on the Ceres Executive and Leadership Teams. The CFO will supervise the four-person Finance team and work closely with the Development team and budget directors.
Specifically, the Chief Financial Officer will:
• Oversee the finances and financial management of Ceres, including on-going evaluation of financial and accounting systems, policies and procedures to ensure compliance with best practices. Experience with Intacct accounting package, a plus.
• Assess the enterprise risk management (ERM) across the organization on an ongoing basis
• Lead strategic financial planning for key revenue lines and organization-wide financial projections.
• Develop the annual budget/operating plan, including mid-year adjustments, in consultation with the Executive Team, Controller, and budget directors.
• Work closely with the Chief Development Officer on developing annual and multi-year philanthropic projections.
• Engage with Foundation staff and budget directors in building grant proposal budgets, preparing grant reports, and refining the grants management system.
• Partner with the Controller on interim meetings with budget directors to assess budget progress, and update current and subsequent year projections.
• Be responsible for the review and signing of sub grant agreements and fiscal sponsor arrangements.
• Review and sign vendor and consultant contracts.
• Staff the Ceres Board Finance Committee and participate in Board Audit and Executive Committee meetings.
• Engage with ad hoc projects as they arise.
• Overall management of the Finance team, including recruitment, hiring, training, conducting reviews and terminating staff. Leads team meetings.
• Supervise the Controller and Finance Manager.
• Nurture a positive working environment within the Finance Team, encouraging personal and professional growth.
• Graduate degree, in relevant area, required. Bachelor degree required.
• CPA or CMA, a plus.
• 15 years of relevant, professional financial management experience.
• At least 5 years of experience in a senior leadership position.
• Experience in the non-profit sector, preferred.
• Proven track record of building or implementing financial systems to support organizational needs.
• Experience with cultivating trusting relationships with colleagues
• Demonstrated experience as a effective supervisor
• Ability to work well with a range of personalities
• Strong communication skills, both oral and written, with an emphasis on explaining financial matters to non-financial colleagues.
How to Apply
We encourage all applicants to review our website to familiarize themselves with Ceres before applying: www.ceres.org. Applicants should submit a resume, cover letter, two writing samples, and a list of three references, to the email address provided. Please use “Ceres CFO” in the subject line of your e-mail message.
Ceres is an equal opportunity employer and seeks qualified applicants without regard to race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, gender identity, disability, marital status, or sexual orientation.