About Fair Trade USA: Fair Trade USA, a four-time winner of Fast Company Magazine's Social Capitalist award, promotes sustainable development and corporate social responsibility. We are an entrepreneurial, non-profit organization and the leading independent third-party certifier of Fair Trade products in the U.S. Our unique market-based model for sustainability links millions of farming families in the developing world to more than 1,000 leading global companies through more direct, equitable trading partnerships.
This is a full-time position for an experienced and dynamic candidate, with proven success operating assurance programs and specific industry knowledge in apparel and home goods’ global supply chains. As an ideal candidate, you will have prior auditing experience in factory settings, preferably globally, and will have led projects in collaboration with sourcing departments or other functions responsible for competing priorities. You are able to develop and implement tools, methodologies, and strategies that optimize an accessible, efficient and credible assurance model.
The Certification Department ensures compliance with the Fair Trade USA Standards and guarantees claims throughout each product’s supply chain. This position is responsible for Fair Trade USA’s factory certification process. This individual will report to the Certification Director, additionally working with the Supply Chain and Business Development teams to align programs and activities with suppliers. The Senior Manager also supervises any staff implementing certification efforts for the factory program.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities
• Design, improve and implement the audit program processes with our Conformity Assurance Bodies and business partners.
• Lead the development of policies, manuals, tools and guidance to accompany the Certification program for various stakeholders.
• Create a training curriculum, execute presentation and learning loop to global audiences of auditors and Conformity Assessment Bodies staff.
• Assist in the development of key performance indicators for factories and the Certification program.
• Manage the Certification process for factory supply chains and ensure clear operating procedures.
• Review audit reports and assist in making timely certification decisions.
• Ensure procedural exceptions are documented and results analyzed.
• Act as subject matter expert in Staff Help Center for factory Certification questions.
• Collaborate with Standards to liaise on compliance interpretation.
• Oversee Corrective Action Plans progress and provide guidance on non-conformity status.
• Effectively contribute as a team member, supporting peers and providing insights and solutions to help improve impact and fostering cross-departmental collaboration.
• Supervise and manage staff and consultants.
• Support and/or lead cross-cutting Certification special projects as needed.
• Contribute to overarching Certification strategy and management.
• A minimum of five years of related prior work experience in certification, verification, auditing, quality management, or standards setting, and a bachelor’s degree in a relevant field.
• Experience working with factory supply chains.
• Experience in a quality control, social responsibility auditing or code of conduct setting role preferred.
• Good understanding of apparel supply chains, manufacturing processes, the related potential for social, economic, and environmental impacts, and industry sustainability strategies.
• Excellent network of organizations and individuals working in the field of factory social auditing preferred.
• Demonstrated strength managing both people and processes, and an ability to work well with all levels of staff including executives as well as a broad range of stakeholders and partners.
• Proven ability to make recommendations balancing a variety of stakeholder interests preferred.
• Strategic, business process-oriented thinker and an excellent mind for risk management.
• Positive outlook, diplomatic and adept at conflict resolution.
• Strong English verbal and written communication skills and capacity for communicating respectfully and effectively with non-native English speakers. Fluency in Hindi, Mandarin, Vietnamese and/or Spanish always desired.
• Ability to work in a flexible, yet fast-paced and deadline-oriented environment, able to meet deadlines and share progress regularly via key performance indicators.
• Self-starter/learner able to work independently.
• High degree of proficiency in MS Office applications including Outlook, Excel, Word, PowerPoint, and internet applications.
• A passion for Fair Trade USA’s mission, vision, and accomplishments.
To apply, please submit your resume and cover letter.
Click here to apply
Please mention that you saw the job on GreenBiz