San Francisco International Airport (SFO) is a world-class, award-winning airport that served more than 53 million guests in 2016. SFO offers non-stop flights to 46 international cities on 39 international carriers. The Bay Area's largest airport also connects non- stop with 79 U.S. cities on 13 domestic airlines. In fiscal year 15/16, the Airport, an enterprise department of the City & County of San Francisco, accounted for $7.8 billion in business activity and supported nearly 39,400 direct jobs.
SFO’s mission is to provide an exceptional airport in service to our communities and is committed to redefining air travel. SFO has embarked on the renovation of Terminal 1, the largest project in the Airport’s 10-year, $6.1 billion Capital Improvement Plan. View an Inside SFO video about careers at SFO.
SFO is seeking a world-class, first of its kind, Carbon Neutral Airport Program Manager to develop and manage the Airport's portfolio of work to attain carbon neutral status by 2021, even as our passenger enplanements continue to grow. This individual is tasked with working autonomously across our matrixed organization to establish direction and manage the implementation of the Airport’s Climate Action & Sustainability Plans; lead Airport-wide greenhouse gas data collection, disclosure, reporting and reduction efforts; and respond to current and burgeoning federal, state and local environmental policies and regulations.
Further, the Airport’s Carbon Neutral Program Manager will lead and supervise staff, committees and broader stakeholders to develop, new and innovative carbon reduction strategies, including the purchase of renewable fuels and advanced technologies designed to reduce the Airport’s operational carbon footprint, as well by supporting emissions reductions and mitigation efforts across our airline partners.
The Carbon Neutral Airport Program Manager will be responsible for leading the broader climate mitigation systems-focused programs in which the Airport plays a significant role, such as green building and district scale approaches, while ensuring that those emerging opportunities are financially viable and effective in protecting our environment. To that end, SFO’s Carbon Neutral Program Manager will understand the complexities of the carbon lifecycle and climate models, greenhouse gas emissions accounting and reporting techniques, efficiency investment strategies grounded in lifecycle cost analyses, community engagement tools such as community-based social marketing, and the carbon offset market.
The Carbon Neutral Airport Program Manager reports to the Airport’s Director of Sustainability, and supervises staff by planning, directing, and assigning work activities to achieve the Airport’s carbon neutral goals and objectives. The position will also be responsible for fundraising, grant-writing, and environmental compliance reporting. (see official job announcement for details)
This Carbon Neutral Airport Program Manager will be responsible for overseeing and directing the following functions.
Environmental Compliance & Reporting
• Development, maintenance and annual environmental and climate action plan reporting through the Airport’s
• Environmental Management System (EMS), using Enviance Software.
• Assisting in the filing of regulatory compliance reports for Air Quality Control, hazardous waste management and water quality control, with emphasis on implementing the new EMS at SFO.
• Development and implementation of a zero solid waste to landfill management system, and the creation of Airport policies and tools to maximize Extended Producer Responsibility, Environmentally Preferable Procurement, and recycling/compost streams.
• Ensuring the Airport is in compliance with the forthcoming zero emissions vehicle (ZEV) fleet requirements.
• Reviewing and analyzing bids and proposals for environmental consulting services, asbestos and hazardous building materials abatement, building demolition, and other hazardous materials abatement projects for conformance with specifications; requests for proposals and contract approval processes.
• Working with Airport lobbyists at state and federal level to protect the Airport’s interest in carbon-related laws and regulations, as necessary.
Climate Strategy Development and Implementation
• Preparation of the annual Departmental Climate Action Plan and updates in compliance with Ordinance 81-08 - Climate Change Goals and Action Plan. The Plan is focused on reducing the Airport’s greenhouse gas emissions. Integration with and participation in the SF Department of Environment DepCAP Working Group.
• Building intersections with and supporting the implementation and tracking of the Airport’s Sustainability Plan and Strategic Plan.
• Providing strong, inspirational leadership and vision on Climate issues for Airport and its stakeholders. Representing and advancing the Airport as an international leader and model for climate action and sustainability.
• Develop partnerships, submit applications for awards, and expand funding sources for the Airport’s carbon neutrality work.
• Responsible for strategic grant writing and managing both government and non-government grants.
Stakeholder Engagement & Communications
• Advise and brief senior officials and executive management regarding strategic direction and policy recommendations for climate related policies, programs and operational changes.
• Support the Airport’s Committees, staff, passengers and tenants in building awareness of and clear actions towards quantifiable emissions reductions through behavior-change campaigns, recognition programs (e.g. Green Business Certification), and outreach materials (e.g. infographics, dynamic maps, trainings).
• Expand industry-aligned initiatives and cooperative partnerships to advance and promote climate policies and sustainability; document, build tools, and communicate the financial and environmental benefits of implementing best practices; and achieve measurable progress on reducing the Airport’s carbon footprint.
• Review, evaluate and recommend aligning Airport policies and procedures with climate goals and act as an expert resource regarding Federal, State, and Local climate and environmental policies, legislation, trends, and climate protection technical assistance issues.
• Provide comments, staff briefings, and recommendations on applicable regional planning and state policies. Develop
• Airport positions and talking points resources on varied environmental and climate topics.
• Develop advanced carbon pricing tools and evaluate offset mechanisms to drive beyond neutrality goals to net positive outcomes for the Airport and our community.
QUALIFYING EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATION
• Baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university, and 7 years of professional experience managing and implementing environmental programs. 4 years of this experience must be in one of the following areas: clean air, energy, public outreach, recycling or toxics reduction; OR
• Baccalaureate degree in public administration, business administration, environmental science or a closely related field from an accredited college, and 5 years of professional experience managing and implementing environmental programs. 4 years of this experience must be in one of the following areas: clean air, energy, public outreach, recycling or toxics reduction; OR
• Juris Doctor or a master's degree in public administration, business administration, environmental science or a closely related field from an accredited college of university, and 3 years of professional experience managing and implementing environmental programs in one of the following areas: clean air, energy, public outreach, recycling or toxics reduction; OR
• Ph.D. degree in public administration, business administration, environmental sciences or a closely related field from an accredited college or university, and 2 years of professional experience managing and implementing environmental programs in one of the following areas: clean air, energy, public outreach and recycling.
COMPENSATION: Salary range: $101,946.00 - $123,916.00/year
HOW TO APPLY: Qualified applicants are encouraged to apply immediately at:
Click here to apply
Please mention that you saw the job on GreenBiz