Title: Associate Process Chemist I
Department: Process Development
Genomatica develops commercial biobased processes to make widely-used chemicals that enable better, more sustainable everyday products. That enables our partners and leading brands to offer better food packaging, auto parts, clothing, tires, carpets, and more.
We’ve commercialized processes for bio-BDO (for plastics) and for biobased butylene glycol (for cosmetics); and our technology drives the world’s first commercial-scale biobased plant for a major intermediate chemical. We’re working on polyamide intermediates (nylon) and on butadiene (tires); and we’re helping numerous companies with their bioprocesses. We have more on the way.
This position will be responsible for executing lab and pilot-scale experiments that contribute to the development of novel processes for the production of chemicals via fermentation. Technical areas of responsibility span fermentation and downstream separation steps such as filtration, centrifugation, chromatography, extraction, and distillation. He/she will assist in experimental planning, independently set-up, operate, clean and maintain equipment at the bench and pilot scale; collect experimental samples, perform sample assays, perform data analysis and reporting, and maintain/order lab supplies.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Prepare experimental plans, execute bench-top experiments and pilot trials including monitoring parameters, sampling, sample submission and data/ observations recording
• Set-up, operate and maintain lab/pilot scale separation and purification equipment
• Run wet-lab assays, prepare reagents, conduct physical property measurements /quality control testing and maintain accurate and detailed record of analyses data
• Perform daily calibration, regular preventative maintenance and maintain instrument/equipment history logbook
• Develop/maintain new SOPs, methods and batch-record sheets
• Write experimental reports, prepare and present summary results at group meetings
• Contribute in preparation of Technology Transfer Packages and provide on-site support at a CMO as needed
• Propose ideas leading to new experimentation
• Order general lab supplies and maintain inventory
• Perform laboratory housekeeping activities, and maintain a clean and well-organized work areas for maximum safety and efficiency
• Routine maintenance and operation of laboratory instrumentation
• Ensure compliance with Genomatica’s health and safety guidelines/protocols
Qualifications & Experience
• A bachelor’s degree in chemistry, biochemistry, chemical engineering or related field
• Laboratory experience in bio-separations process a plus
3. Knowledge Requirements
• Downstream processing and operation of separation and purification equipment
• Independently set-up and execute bench-top experiments and pilot trials
• Ability to operate laboratory equipment, including basic maintenance and calibration
• Experimental designs, data analysis and prepare and present reports
• Strong problem solving and creative scientific skills
a. Excellent organization, prioritization, time management and planning skills
b. Enjoys laboratory-based research work and collaboration with other chemists and engineers
c. Capable of self-time-management to complete tasks efficiently and within deadlines
d. Excellent written and oral communication skills
e. Demonstrated ability to handle highly confidential materials in a discrete and professional manner
f. Ability to interact comfortably, confidentially, and professionally with all levels of the organization and external customers
g. Team player committed to success and getting the job done well
h. Technological literacy with an emphasis on Microsoft Excl, Outlook, Teams and Word
i. Approachable, solutions-oriented and able to maintain composure
j. Desire to learn new things, positive attitude and enthusiasm
k. Able to thrive in a high-energy, dynamic, team-driven work environment
l. Good analytical skills
Work Environment/ Physical Demands
The work environment and physical demands described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Comfortable using standard Personal Protective Equipment while in laboratory
• Some shift work may be required at times
• Mechanical aptitude operates laboratory equipment, basic maintenance and calibration
• Strong safety attitude
Genomatica is committed to providing exciting career opportunities in an environment that values trust, respect, openness, teamwork, creativity, enthusiasm, and diligence. We strive to create a culture that enables and encourages everyone to bring their whole selves to work. We are committed to be a company where everyone feels they have equal opportunity to reach their potential. Everyone is accepted and appreciated for who they are and what they bring to Genomatica.
We promote the continued development of an inclusive environment that values diversity through Geno4All, our employee led Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) committee. We are looking for innovative, highly motivated, and collaborative people who enjoy the challenges and rewards of a company devoted to commercializing cutting-edge sustainable technology.
Check us out on our LinkedIn Life page. Genomatica is an equal opportunity employer.
Qualified applicants will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability or any other characteristic protected by law.
Click here to apply
Please mention that you saw the job on GreenBiz