The Rainforest Alliance is an international nonprofit organization that works to conserve biodiversity and ensure sustainable livelihoods by transforming land-use practices, business practices and consumer behavior. Based in New York City, with offices throughout the United States and worldwide, the Rainforest Alliance works with people whose livelihoods depend on the land, helping them transform the way they grow food, harvest wood and host travelers. For more information, please visit http://www.rainforest-alliance.org/about
The Assistant, Individual Philanthropy will support the individual philanthropy program in research, identification, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of gifts from individuals, and support executive staff with donor portfolio management. S/he will support the team in maintaining the donor database system and assist in the management of donor relations.
Executive Staff Donor Portfolio Responsibilities
• Update donor files and database with correspondence, cultivation strategy and meeting planning information;
• Execute donor mailings including appeals, renewals, acquisition letter, correspondence and acknowledgement letters; pull queries and organize exports in preparation for mailings as needed;
• Support frontline fundraising: generate profiles, talking points, packets and any other additional materials as requested;
• In accordance with donor portfolio responsibilities, s/he will work with the organization’s Prospect Research and prospect donor base to develop a cultivation strategy; draft written materials, including profiles, research, preparation of talking points; and meeting invitations and other materials as needed;
• Correspond with donors and prospects to schedule meetings and follow-up on invites and mailings;
• Prepare and conduct cold calls to approach and engage new donor prospects;
• Identify prospects to expand Rainforest Alliance’s Planned Giving program;
• Update the electronic donor files daily with correspondence, cultivation strategy, and meeting planning information. This will include running reports on the electronic donor database (Luminate) as needed;
• Develop understanding of research tools and systems to support donor/profile research
• Work with Development Assistant on: processing and recording all gifts from Major Donors; communicating gift purpose with finance department; sending acknowledgement letters and premiums; scheduling relevant follow-up activities through new gift email for other team members;
• Maintain meeting agendas, prepare supplies for donor meetings, and keep inventory of all stewardship pieces for the Individual Philanthropy team;
• Update donor files and database with correspondence, cultivation strategy and meeting planning information as needed;
• Coordinate with Prospect Researcher and provide additional research assistance, when necessary;
• Contribute to the implementation of two annual major gift solicitation appeals;
• Assist with organizing events and trips, including mailing of invitations and recording RSVPs;
• Other duties as assigned
• Bachelor’s degree required;
• Minimum 1 year experience, with non-profit fundraising of major gifts experience preferred;
• Must have excellent written and verbal communications skills;
• Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook, experience working with database programs; knowledge of Luminate donor tracking software is preferred;
• Ability to work within a team structure as well as independently and on deadline, be creative, take initiative and be attentive to detail; and
• Dependability, diplomacy, good organizational skills and ability to adapt to different work styles.
Commensurate with experience.
Please apply online at https://home.eease.adp.com/recruit/?id=15622371
. Combine cover letter and resume as one single document and upload.