The Rainforest Alliance is an international nonprofit organization that works to conserve biodiversity and ensure sustainable livelihoods by transforming land-use practices, business practices and consumer behavior. With headquarters in New York City and offices worldwide, the Rainforest Alliance works with people whose livelihoods depend on the land, helping them transform the way they grow food, harvest wood and host travelers. For more information, please visit http://www.rainforest-alliance.org/about
The Accounting Manager is a key member of the Finance & Accounting department. S/he will manage the monthly financial closing process, ensuring that all financial information is appropriately and accurately recorded in the accounting system. S/he will manage the accounts receivable (A/R) & cash receipts process to ensure timely & accurate billing practices, analyze & monitor aging reports and improve upon current procedures. S/he will also work closely with the accounting staff globally, Finance, RA-Cert, Agriculture Traceability and Contracts & Grants teams. The Accounting Manager will also play a key role in the efficiency initiative as the accounting team works to find efficiencies in the use of our accounting system, especially the A/R and A/P processes. S/he will supervise two positions in the New York office.
• Manage the monthly accounting close process and meeting close deadlines;
• Responsible for the monthly allocation process, including overhead, indirect, occupancy and other administrative costs to the various subunits of the Rainforest Alliance;
• Work closely with Finance unit to ensure all reclassification entries are processed in a timely manner and reflected in the system for reporting purposes;
• Work with the field offices to ensure timely processing related to the monthly reporting of expenses as part of the monthly close process and prepare related Cash flow forecasts;
• In close coordination with the Director of Accounting & Deputy Director of Accounting, review and update policies and procedures on an ongoing basis;
• Supervise A/R, ensure accuracy and timeliness;
• Manage, execute and analyze monthly RA-Cert revenue deferrals;
• Oversee and monitor A/R aging balances;
• Work with all departments to ensure timely billing and cash receipt processing;
• Responsible for regular reconciliation between records in accounting and fundraising systems;
• Ensure timely reporting of locally generated invoices in Dynamics and reconcile to ensure accuracy;
• Work with regional and local accountants to strengthen field office A/R controls;
• Review and analyze pertinent general ledger accounts on a regular basis;
• Implement coding structure changes in accounting system based on organizational policy;
• Provide ad-hoc analyses and reports as needed;
• Respond to accounting queries from internal staff and work closely with the Finance team on projects as they arise;
• Maintain Finance and Accounting SharePoint site and permissions;
• Manage the annual budgets for operational units (F&A, HR, Legal, Exec, IT and or office budgets)
• Prepare and review of audit requests and 990 preparation and assist the Director of Accounting & Deputy Director of Accounting with the annual audit as needed; and
• Other duties as assigned.
• This position will oversee staff. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
• Accountability: Being accountable and passing on accountability for one's own actions and those of colleagues and the organization.
• Attention to Detail: The ability to process detailed information effectively and consistently
• Flexible Behavior: The ability to change one’s behavioral style and/or views in order to attain a set goal.
• Planning and Organizing: The ability to determine goals and priorities and to assess the actions, time and resources needed to achieve those goals.
• Result-Oriented: The ability to take direct action in order to attain or exceed objectives.
• Coaching: Encouraging and guiding employees in order to make their performance more effective and to enhance their self-perception and problem solving skills.
• Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance;
• 7-10 years relevant experience; non-profit sector experience a plus;
• Experience supervising/managing staff in an accounting or finance environment;
• Demonstrated proficiency with accounting system software, expertise in Excel and report writing software; Dynamics SL experience a plus;
• Spanish language skills a plus;
• Effective oral and written communication skills; and
• Ability to work in a multicultural, diverse, and highly performance-driven environment.
Commensurate with experience.
Please apply online at https://home.eease.adp.com/recruit/?id=15614841
. Combine cover letter and resume as one single document and upload.