The Rainforest Alliance is an international nonprofit organization that works to conserve biodiversity and ensure sustainable livelihoods by transforming land-use practices, business practices and consumer behavior. Based in New York City, with offices throughout the United States and worldwide, the Rainforest Alliance works with people whose livelihoods depend on the land, helping them transform the way they grow food, harvest wood and host travelers. For more information, please visit http://www.rainforest-alliance.org/about
The Accountant is responsible for the processing and documenting of all cash deposits and documenting all non-RA Cert funding including wires, credit cards and checks, as well as credit cards payments received by third parties on behalf of the Rainforest Alliance. The Accountant will also prepare and send bills for the outstanding amounts due for contracts, and assist the Rainforest Alliance accounting department in processing invoices and collections for other program division as needed. S/he also assists in audit preparation and with the overall monthly close process. S/he will work closely with internal and external clients and provide general support to the accounting department as needed.
- Review all checks received and coordinate with the appropriate Rainforest Alliance team contact to ensure the correct source, amount, and revenue coding for cash receipts;
- Prepare batch postings and scan all checks into bank via remote deposit;
- Deposit all foreign checks in person with the bank as necessary;
- Identify whether the check belongs to an invoice (paying high attention to detail to existing invoices, receivables, pledges, gifts, donations, and funds etc.);
- For non-invoice related checks, cash, and wires, prepare Cash Manager entries with appropriate backup documentation and post the cash receipt in Dynamics;
- Ensure proper recording, documentation and posting of all Development revenue;
- Work with accounts payable to process Credit Card payments that are sent to the accounts receivable department;
- Continuously work to identify unapplied cash/wires and address questions concerning application of funds including contacting different departments for information;
- Assist with credit card reconciliations and reviewing of reports from third party credit card merchant accounts;
- Enter all non-RA Cert manual invoice requests as received from various RA departments;
- Research old invoices and/or payments and work with task managers & finance managers to help to clean up the Aging on a rolling basis;
- Assess need for and fully document debit or credit memos to resolve payment application issues;
- Prepare PRF package as necessary for non-RA Cert client reimbursements;
- Enter monthly government revenue recognition credit memos and/or invoices;
- Prepare Balance Sheet and Profit and Loss Analysis related to prepaid assets, related backup documentation and enter reclassification journal entries as needed;
- Assist in preparation and reconciliation of Luminate to GL reconciliation as necessary;
- Assist in the preparation of quarterly SAN analysis and ensure timely payment;
- Enter reclassification journal entries as requested by Development and F&A team and ensure complete, auditable backup documentation is provided for each;
- Assist in the Audit and FORM 990 preparation tasks as necessary; and
- Special projects as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree is required;
- 1-2 years progressive accounting experience;
- Excellent computer skills (Microsoft Word, Excel and Internet) and comfort working with database programs; experience with Salesforce, Concur, and Microsoft Dynamics preferred;
- Professional and friendly demeanor and strong customer service skills;
- Must be able to work independently, multi-task and work under tight deadlines;
- Dependability, diplomacy and strong organizational skills are necessary; and
- Ability to work in a multicultural, diverse and highly performance-driven environment.
The Rainforest Alliance is an equal opportunity employer
Please apply online at https://home.eease.adp.com/recruit/?id=15530751
. Combine your cover letter and resume
into a single file for upload.