CDP is a leading international charity founded 16 years ago to address the dangerous threat of climate change. It has since grown to become the world's foremost system for companies and cities to report on carbon emissions, water stewardship and deforestation. We operate key hubs in London, New York and Berlin with other representation in the rest of Europe, Brazil, Australia, Japan, India and China. CDP North America (CDP NA) is an independent 501(c)3 charity, based in New York, which works in close association with other members of the CDP operation throughout the world. For more information on CDP, please visit our website: www.cdp.net.
CDP NA is seeking a detail-oriented individual with relationship management and sales skills, as well as knowledge around the business implications of climate change, to join our Disclosure Services team. The position is based in our New York office. The title is "Sector Lead, Disclosure Services", and it will report to a Manager on the Disclosure Services team.
The Sector Lead role has two key components:
First: Manage relationships with approximately 200 North American companies in one or more of the following sectors: Consumer Discretionary, Consumer Staples, Health Care, Industrials, Materials, and/or Transportation. This includes companies that have not yet disclosed to CDP, as well as those that are highly engaged and disclose to multiple programs (climate, water, forests). For these companies, the Sector Lead is expected to:
- Be a conduit for CDP’s wealth of initiatives, including Commit to Action and CDP’s supply chain membership; this includes outreach via email and phone, and setting up meetings between companies and representatives of CDP’s various initiatives
- Maintain and expand CDP’s reporter services membership by securing renewals and recruiting new members
- Contribute to the development and implementation of an engagement strategy to maintain and increase disclosure across CDP’s climate change, water and forests programs. This includes outreach to—and responding to requests from—industry group associations, investors and companies. The Sector Lead must be able to lead discussions with individuals at a range of seniority levels, on a variety of topics including natural resource disclosure, corporate sustainability, socially-responsible investing and carbon accounting.
Second: Deliver reporter services benefits to approximately 25 member companies. This includes educating companies on CDP’s climate change guidance and scoring methodology, and providing in-depth disclosure support between March and June. Reporter services is a membership program that offers dedicated disclosure support and enhanced data access, helping companies benchmark against peers and build internal expertise in managing issues related to climate change.
Excellent engagement and communication skills, as well as attention to detail, are paramount—as is the ability to understand company needs, identify opportunities, and act on this information. The Sector Lead must also understand the business implications represented by climate change. Please note this is not a research, analysis or writing role.
- A university degree in a relevant subject, such as sustainability management
- 1-2 years related work experience (this can include internships)
- Superior interpersonal skills, including the ability to engage with resistant parties, and to pitch services
- Understanding of the business implications represented by climate change
- The ability to come up to speed quickly and independently with technical information (such as CDP's scoring methodology) and apply this information to company responses
- A knack for accurately communicating technical information in a concise, yet comprehensive manner
- The ability to spot trends and opportunities as well as focus on details
- The drive to take ownership and responsibility for particular areas of work
- The desire and ability to innovate and streamline processes to better and more efficiently achieve program goals, rather than follow the status quo
- The ability to meet deadlines under pressure and take pride in working to a high standard
Benefits: 24 days vacation, generous 401k package
Eligibility requirements: The candidate will be expected to work full time (8 hours per day, 5 days per week) and must be able to work legally in the US. He/she must also be based in the New York City area.
Interested candidates should email email@example.com
. Please express your interest and suitability in the body of the email, attach a resume, and use the following subject line: CDP NA DST Sector Lead – [First Name Last Name]
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis through September 23, 2016, or longer if the position is not yet filled. The anticipated start date is mid to late October.
We are always looking for excellent candidates to join our team, so please do not inquire if the position has been filled. If you are viewing an active posting and are interested, please submit an application.